Configuring Jira to run for multiple teams working on single product (same sprint)

Ruben Sadoyan January 16, 2013

Hi guys,

I am facing with a task to configure Jira to utilize it for 3 teams running same iteration, commiting to the stories from single product backlog but separately.

AFAIK, this turns into having/configuring:

• One sprint, having all stories assigned to it;
  • Custom issue field as select box to distinguish what team issue is with;
  • 3 separate boards (having filters configured, each shouwing only assigned TEAM's issues);
  • 1 integrated board that show issues from all 3 teams;

Seems like all works but downsides are:

1. I have to assign each issue to the particular team, otherwise they are not shown on the relevant board and if team creates subtasks for a story or a bug - guys need to remember to lace it under correct team. Human factor: they often do not and issues get "lost".
    QUESTION 1: is there a way to inherit field value from parent issue (story or a bug)?
  2. During sprint plannin, when story summary shown on the right side, my custom field (TEAM) not shown. It is available only if I click and is within ticket.
    QUESTION 2: Is there a way to configure it so it is also shown on quick screen?

And of course:

QUESTION 3: what is your experience running same sort of setup. What customization / approach you've used? Do you have any better ideas, how to tackle this?

Many thanks in advance,

Ruben.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

My view:

• May be you can use the same board
  • No custom fields
  • Create three quick filters based on the reporter of the issue (for subtasks) and a label (for stories). Here I am expecting that sub-tasks are created by team during sprint planning and labelling of stories happen during the initial phase of sprint planning when teams pick up their stories
  • Use assignee of the sub-tasks as the actual team member (isn't that is needed so that their photo comes up on the tasks)
Ruben Sadoyan January 17, 2013

Thanks Renjith,

Looks good, but one question: would I be able to track sprint progress separately (would sprint burndown charts be available per team issuess progress then)?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

That's a challenge. No. For that you need to create additonal boards, I assume which picks up only those stories and sub-tasks. Filter it using the same criteria above.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

QUESTION 1: is there a way to inherit field value from parent issue (story or a bug)?

If you use this plugin (JQL Tricks Plugin) & link your Story <-> Task/Bug, you should be able to do a query for a quick filter to pull it out. I did not really test this out and this is a paid plugin.

QUESTION 2: Is there a way to configure it so it is also shown on quick screen?

If you click Conflgure > Issue Detail View, you should be able to configure that field. If it is not there, it's not supported yet.

QUESTION 3: what is your experience running same sort of setup. What customization / approach you've used? Do you have any better ideas, how to tackle this?

I'd advice users that have multiple boards to merge them if possible. Having 3 boards with the same main filter is just redundant. You could also put a nice "big red flashing warning" in the fields description to make sure that the user does keys in the correct values for fields.

Suggest an answer