Configuring JIRA on Linux without a browser

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2013

I'm installing JIRA 5.2 on a Linux server, but cannot access the "localhost:8080" via a browser as the steps indicate. The server.xml file also indicates I can no longer configuring via this file, and should follow the GUI setup. What's my next step at this point?

4 answers

0 votes
Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

I presume I'll need to manually update the server.xml file to specify the URL as per older versions. - Nevermind, there is no place to do so in the file.

0 votes
Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2013

Hi Charles,

Since you are probably installing JIRA on a Linux server that is not in your local network, you should be able to access JIRA using the IP address or if DNS has been assigned, using the domain name.

Make sure your linux firewall is setup correctly, usually only has port 22 open. You need to open port 8080 so that you can access JIRA.

vim /etc/sysconfig/iptables

# Firewall configuration written by system-config-firewall
# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 8090 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
-A FORWARD -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
COMMIT

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2014

Hello Isaac, I've added the lines above with no success. I must be missing something else.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2013

while you installing jira what is the url you configured?

when you try to open the jira ,what is the error message/response you are getting?

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2013

The command line installer doesn't prompt for a URL. the instructions say that will be configured upon first accessing at the localhost address. But this isn't on my local machine, it's on a Linux server. JIRA is running per "ps aux | grep java", I'm just unable to access the GUI. Does that make sense?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2013

localhost:8080 means "this machine, port 8080". It will only work on the machine you are running on.

It sounds like you've tried that address from your machine, rather than the server. If I'm right with that guess, then you need to change it slightly - try the raw IP address of the server instead - nip onto the server and run ipconfig, that should tell you something like 192.168.1.42, so try http://192.168.1.142:8080 and see what it does.

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2014

Hello Nic, using the raw IP address didn't work either. I didn't install using the installer, so I was never prompted to enter a URL. I thought older versions had this set in the server.xml file, however, that's doesn't appear to be an option in 6x.

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2013

Why do you say you cannot access from localhost:8080? Is it showing blank page? Did you install using installer?

Suggest an answer