Configuring Hipchat for JIRA notifications for issues

Daniel Widdis March 14, 2015

I am in the process of migrating my HipChat integration features from the Go2Groups HipChat plugin to the HipChat for JIRA plugin, but am stumped by a few problems or lack of obvious features.  

• I see an ability on issues to assign a "Dedicated Room" for HipChat discussions on that issue.  However:
    • I want all issues to go to the same room. There does not appear to be any way to automatically configure this, such as part of a workflow, or a global default.  I'm forced to manually select the room for all issues.
    • Once assigned, there is no way to unassign a dedicated room or switch to a different room.
  • There is no audible notification in the HipChat room when messages are posted (the API's "notify" boolean).  Is this not supported?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2015

Thanks for the feedback Daniel.

Once assigned, there is no way to unassign a dedicated room or switch to a different room." problem

This is definitely a bug and we are working to have it fixed.

There is no audible notification in the HipChat room when messages are posted (the API's "notify" boolean).  Is this not supported?

bug as well: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-42342

I want all issues to go to the same room. There does not appear to be any way to automatically configure this, such as part of a workflow, or a global default.  I'm forced to manually select the room for all issues.

I see, something along the lines of configuring all updates for all tickets in a project to go to a specific room. That's interesting; we originally though it would be too spammy to see every single updates update for every issue in a project in a room. Looks like it will be useful for you and some other customers.

Paul Huang April 3, 2015

We need this fix asap! (un-dedicating an issue to a room)

Paul Huang April 3, 2015

Also, Anatoli Kazatchkov, how do i get notified of when the bug is fixed (or when there's an updated version of the plugin and thus need to reconnect from within JIRA)?

Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2015

We track it under this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-42652

0 votes
Daniel Widdis March 18, 2015

Thanks @Anatoli Kazatchkov.

we originally though it would be too spammy to see every single updates update for every issue in a project in a room

That may be the case for larger projects, but our little coding shop of 3 doesn't get that much done that we don't want to see everything everyone else is doing! 

Of note the Go2Groups version of the HipChat client has this feature and the option to either include the text of the comment (like the Atlassian version does) or not (it simply alerts there is a comment with a hyperlink to go view it).  This option may be desirable for spam reduction.

0 votes
Tim C March 18, 2015

Had to revert our plugin back to previous release since there is no way to unassign a dedicated room to a JIRA ticket or even give the ability to switch rooms.  

Darryl Lee March 31, 2015

Tim -- what version did you revert to? It's unclear from release notes (I haven't dug too deep yet) what in what rev the Dedicated Room per Issue feature was introduced. :-/

Tim C April 1, 2015

We are using Hipchat plugin 6.11.5. Its working well and we arnt seeing any problems. There plugin version 6.14.0 is the one that it was introduced in.

0 votes
Seif Attar March 18, 2015

Having the ability to set a room for all issue discussion would be great.

Suggest an answer