Configuring Gmail SMTP in Jira, error connecting?

Adar Bronstein June 3, 2012

Hey guys,

I'm trying forever now to configure the E-Mail from within Jira, trying to have it sending through a G-Mail account though every time I send a test E-Mail I receive an error:

Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465;

Now, I know the SMTP for GMail is two IP addresses which are:

And the port is obviously 465

I've opened 465 for outgoing and incoming for both IP's and I tested it on Telnet from within the server I have Jira installed on and it seems to connect fine.

What am I missing here?

Thanks a lot !!

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2012

Hi Adar,

have a look at this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Gmail+as+a+JIRA+Mail+Server

Maybe it will help you

Best regards

Thomas

Hey,

I've looked into the page but it seems to be outdated or perhaps I simply don't understand it well enough.

The page asks me to move 'Activation.jar' and 'Mail.jar' from one location to another which I have, then it asks me to edit the 'server.xml' file and edit the fields as written in the doc though most of these fields don't exist in the xml file, also, those fields do exist in the Jira EMail configuration UI from within Jira so why would I need to edit them in two different locations?

Then what is written is that I should specify the JNDI Location which is

java:comp/env/mail/GmailSmtpServer

although in Jira I also have a location for that in the settings but it says below it that it has already been set up in JIRA's application server.

What should I be doing?

Thanks a lot :)

Well it is Jira 5.0.3 though I don't see how those docs relate to what I have according to my previous comment.. :(

Thanks

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2012

I don't think that the page is outdated. It is from the latest Jira release. Which Version have you installed ? If it is a 4.4, have a look at the version specific page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Using+Gmail+as+a+JIRA+Mail+Server

I don't have a gmail server configured with Jira, so unfortunately I cannot tell you, if the content of these pages is wrong. Maybe someone else here can help you ?

Jason Wandel June 4, 2012

Hi Adar, I spent some time fiddling with my Bamboo 4 install to get it to work with gmail, but in the end it turned out to be pretty easy - but the docs were way out of date (they were related to Bamboo 3, not 4)...

In the end it took no configuration at all, just specifying the details, and apparently this worked for some others according to the comments on https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Gmail+as+a+JIRA+Mail+Server... so maybe you've hit the same kind of doco problem that I had.

HTH!

Jason Wandel [SolveIT Software]

Suggest an answer