• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Configured jira.home '/data/jira' must not be a parent directory of the webapp servlet path '/data/jira/atlassian-jira-enterprise-4.2-standalone/atlassian-jira' while trying to startup Jira 4.2

Configured jira.home '/data/jira' must not be a parent directory of the webapp servlet path '/data/jira/atlassian-jira-enterprise-4.2-standalone/atlassian-jira' while trying to startup Jira 4.2

Anandhi A November 20, 2012

Jira : 4.2

Oracle: 11G

I have extracted the Jira tar.gz file. I have set the jira.home to '/jira-install'. The jira installation directory is '/data/jira' where the 'atlassian-jira-enterprise-4.2-standalone' directory is placed. When i run the './startup' there was no problem with it. But when i give 'http://localhost:8080', in the web browser, i get the following error:

Configured jira.home '/data/jira' must not be a parent directory of the webapp servlet path '/data/jira/atlassian-jira-enterprise-4.2-standalone/atlassian-jira'

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2012

Yes, you've specified directories that are wrong. I think you've misunderstood the instructions.

Jira needs two root directories - a "jira install" for where you are going to install the software, and a "jira home" for where you are going to put the data.

You can place them anywhere you want really, but you must NOT place the installation inside the data area, and that appears to be what you've done - set jira home to "/data/jira" and then installed the software under /data/jira/atlassian-jira-enterprise.

Try it again, but set jira home to /data/jira and install the software under something like /opt/jira or /usr/local/jira

Hi Nic,

I changed the jira.home to /jira-install directory and the jira installation is in /data/jira/ directory.

But still i get the same error.....

Please tell me how to solve this..

Thanks in advance..

Thanks Nic..

The problem is solved. Afetr changing the directories, i dint give a shutdown...that was the problem..

Apurva Kirdatt April 6, 2021

How did you change the directory? By uninstalling and reinstalling JIRA or followed some other steps? Please guide, I am a novice.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

You can uninstall and re-install, but it is also possible to separate the directories and reconfigure it.

Let's say you've made the mistake as above, such that:

• /data/jira/ is the data (home) directory
  • /data/jira/jira-install is the data (home) directory

And you want to fix it by changing this to

• /data/jira/home is the data (home) directory
  • /data/jira/jira-install is the data (home) directory

Obviously, stop Jira and move the directories around.  Then you'll need to tell Jira where the data (home) directory is.

To do that, edit

/data/jira/jira-install/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties 

It probably has nothing in it other than a comment and the line

jira.home = /data/jira/jira-install 

You can see what you need to do there ;-)

Suggest an answer