Configure two proxyname in server.xml

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2016

Hi All,

Our jira instance accessible by our internal users and it can be accessed via intranet

Due this tight security setup, we couldn't integrate the third party application with our JIRA instance. example ...Smartsheet

So, now we have created the external public faced FQDN(DNS) and allowed particular API- IP address to access the instance.

So now we have two DNS, one for private user access and another for third party applications to access it.

If we configure both DNS separately its works. 

Issue here is, how we can configure the two proxy name in server.xml configuration file? So that i can have one for internal users and another for third party integration without affecting anything?

Please advise

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2016

The application cannot know which proxy it is supposed to use, so there's nothing you can do here.

You are running it on one url though aren't you?

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist],

I have JIRA application which is allowed to access inside my corporate network. When Third party application hits to JIRA, it won't get response since my URL can be access inside the network.

To overcome this issue, I have created another URL and allowed third party application to access it.

So now I have two urls, one for private access and another one for third party application access it but I am not sure how to configure the two domain in jira

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2016

You don't.  It runs on a single URL

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2016

I know Atlassian must allow single base URL only. The second one I am going to use it for third party application integration not for users to access it.

Is that possible to configure to proxy in server.xml?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2016

No, because JIRA needs to run on one url.  It has no way of knowing which proxy to use if you configure two.

Kiran Talapaneni September 13, 2020

Hi @Mathiyalagan ,

We are in similar situation.

We have external URL for integrating with external apps. We have allowed few external IP addresses to access the Jira instance with external URL. 

And, internal url is used by internal users. Base URL is internal URL. Proxyname in server.xml is same as base URL.

However, this doesn't work for external integrations that are configured using application link (OAuth) (Eg: smartsheet jira integration as it requires external URL must match proxyname in server.xml). 

We reached out to Atlassian and they said they don't support multiple proxynames and it might break. They mentioned different URLs can cause security checks to fail with OAuth or SAML, etc. Jira is not currently designed to support multiple URL endpoints. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-69185

Could you please let me know if you have faced any issues by configuring two different proxy name on 8080 and 8081 ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2020

You will find the non-base-url proxy has the wrong url, so it will fail.  All links given out by Jira will be for the base-url and you'll have problems authenticating the other one, gadgets and reports may fail, people will be directed to the base url unexpectedly, and so-on.

I would remove your second proxy, it's not going to work properly.

Kiran Talapaneni September 15, 2020

Thanks for your input @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Jorge Jerez June 9, 2021

This is not related but looks like @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- knows a lot about this. Can we configure two diferent connectors on server.xml, one for HTTP and another one for HTTPS? I think this should users let access by using HTTP but will show them an error, as URL BASE can be only one of them, true?+

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

You can, but it will indeed break if anyone uses the url that is not the base url.

Like Jorge Jerez likes this
Jorge Jerez June 9, 2021

The only important tink for us is if rest api will still working on HTTP, as we know dashboards and some functionalities into jira will be broken accesing throgh HTTP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

It won't.  REST also breaks if you use the wrong base url, in places.

Like Jorge Jerez likes this
Jorge Jerez June 9, 2021

Thanks for your help Nic!! You saved me from a lot of time of testing 

0 votes
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2016

I have achieved this by having two connector port in server.xml to handle this scenario. Configure 8080 and 8081 respectively for two different proxy name.

Allow one port for internal user and allow second port for third party integration. Please make sure you have tight security setup placed to make sure no data visibility for outside users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2016

That's incoming proxies, not what you asked about.  It'll work, but only partially, as the base url is wrong on one of your proxies.

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2016

Thanks Nic. As I mentioned in my answer, I can access the JIRA instance using two different proxy names. Thanks for your time on this topic

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2016

Thing is, for incoming connections, you don't need to do anything in the Tomcat.  You can have as many proxies forwarding to the Tomcat as you want.  The changes you've made are utterly irrelevant to what you're doing.

Suggest an answer