Configure requests that appear in Portal

Az December 14, 2017

Hello, 

How can I configure the issues that show up in the customer portal? Currently the only issues that seem to appear there are those that are directly submitted by email from the customer. 

However, there are other requests that come through other channels (e.g. meetings, phone calls, etc.) that we create ourselves in the tracker, but which we would like them to see and be able to comment on.  

*However, we don't want them to be able to see ALL requests*

How can I configure JIRA (server) so that we have this functionality? Ideally it would be a workflow transition which sets a field so that the particular issues does or does not appear in customer portal. 

1 answer

0 votes
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017

Assuming we are talking about a 'Service Desk' type project, if you want an issue that has been created through JIRA channel to appear on customer portal, make sure its 'Request type' field is set to the corresponding customer request type that matches your issue type. 

You can configure your customer request types in Project Settings -> Request Types.

Az December 15, 2017

@Ivan Tovbin it is a service desk, and all request types display in portal. But all the issues don't. 

I need a way to set so that certain requests do and don't display

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017

To make all your issues display on portal you need to make sure that:

1) Each issue type within your project is mapped to its own customer request type in Project Settings -> Request Types

2) All issues have their respective 'Request type' field set to a matching customer request type depending on their issue type

Could you clarify what do you mean by "I need a way to set so that certain requests do and don't display"?

Az December 15, 2017

@Ivan Tovbin we only use one request type for everything - new feature. Some issues which have these appear in the portal and in our internal tracker. 

What I mean, is that I want to be able to crate a ticket, and then click a button which decides whether or not it shows up in custoemr tracker or not. 

Right now it seems that the only issues that appear are the ones that the client submits through email. 

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2017

If you create a ticket internally through JIRA and want it to appear on customer portal, you need to fill this issue's Request Type field with valid customer request type:

Clip2net_171215233500.png

Az December 15, 2017

@Ivan Tovbin 

So I have this ticket internally with a type of new feature, and in the customer portal, they can see tickets that are of type new feature. 

internal.png

helpdesk.png

However, this particular ticket does not show up in the portal.Why? 

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2017

Because your internal ticket is missing a value in its 'Request type' field (see my previous comment).

Az December 15, 2017

@Ivan Tovbin I thought that was the same as the Issue type. But I see that in the field configuration there is an option for issue type and customer request type. 

issue type.pngcustomer request type.png

So I should be using this customer request type field? It is locked and programmatically generated. So how can I set this? I am admin. 

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2017

I suppose your best option is to create an automation rule, which will trigger on issue creation and set this field value automatically, so you won't have to worry about it.

Az December 18, 2017

@Ivan Tovbin That's a good idea and I looked into it. However, I can't do it on issue creation as that takes away the option to set it on a per issue basis. 

So I looked into the other statuses for the automation rulecomments.pngThe organizations added and particpant added would be good, however, these aren't able to be set as easy post-transitions in JIRA. The other ones are too generic and wouldn't work for that reason. IF there was an option to set it to automate when the status changed to something specific then I may be able to work with that, but currently it is not customizable. 

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2017

In that case you might wanna consider Automation for Jira addon. It gives you MUCH more flexibility.

Suggest an answer