Configure Number of Action Buttons

d October 18, 2012

Based on:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/64750/how-to-set-ops-bar-group-size-opsbar-transitions-property-in-jira-config-properties

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/63782/configuring-the-action-buttons

I am able to tune the number of Workflow buttons via ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions in $JIRA_HOME/jira-config.properties. One problem is that a ghosted "Workflow" dropdown button will appear if the number of transitions available is one less than this value.

But, although my Project is not configured for Greenhopper, I have these silly "Agile Board" and "Rank to Top" buttons which I will never use, prominently placed on my UI. I'd like to get these out of the way. I can not figure a way to configure the button list, but I did try setting ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-operations but I do not observe any change in the number of Operations buttons displayed.

The above screenshot is with jira-config.properties configured like so:

ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-operations = 2
ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions = 4

Jira 5.0.7

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2012

Hi,

One problem is that a ghosted "Workflow" dropdown button will appear if the number of transitions available is one less than this value.
This is being tracked by Atlassian here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24608

Regarding the setting of the ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-operations property, it worked correctly for me, so it is possible there is sonme problem with the file you've created, so to use it please:

1. Take the file I've attached and paste it into your JIRA Home directory (jira-config.properties.txt);
  2. Remove the .txt extension from the file (Atlassian Answers doesn't accept uploads for .properties files);
  3. Edit the value inside the file to the one you want (I've set it to two);
  4. Restart JIRA;

Also, if you wish to change the order of the buttons displayed, see this page (search for "Customising the Positions of Items and Sections"). For example, to make the Log Work button appear before the Agile Board, Rank Bottom, etc. buttons, I did the following:

1. Shutdown JIRA;
  2. Navigate to the $JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes folder;
  3. Edit the system-issueoperations-plugin.xml file:
    Replace the default value "20" with "11" in the weight attribute in the following line -- line 78 in my test:
    <web-section key="operations-work" name="Ops Bar Operations Work Section" location="opsbar-operations" i18n-name-key="webfragments.view.issue.opsbar.operations.work" weight="11"/>

4. Save the modifications and restart JIRA.

This attribute I modified is the "rank" attribute of the button. That is, every button/web-section has a 'weight' value and the lower values appear before the higher in the menu. So what I did is I lowered the value of the 'operations-work' web-section so it would appear before GreenHopper.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Matheus Fernandes

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2015

Thank you sooooooo much for this! Your properties file is a broken link now but it wasn't needed after viewing the very detailed https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/View+Issue+Page+Locations#ViewIssuePageLocations-IssueOperationsBarLocations page that you linked. After rearranging the weight of the opsbar operations-operations to 10 (to be first) then I set the number of buttons displayed to be 4 to cover them all with jira-config.properties: ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-operations=4

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2015

I am glad that helped, Geoff! :)

0 votes
neil1967 October 22, 2012

Stupidly, this does not appear possible (I'd like to get rid of them as well). Disable Rapid Board operation when JIRA project is not included in the greenhopper enabled projects

Suggest an answer