Configure JIRA 5.1 to run on windows but answer on a specific domain name and SSL

Jason Stiefer November 15, 2012

Does anyone know how to make JIRA answer on a specific domain that is tied to an IP address?

Example:

Currently my jira instance answers on localhost. This is not the way we want it done. We would like to have jira answering on something like http://myBugName.MyCompanyDomain.com

Any suggestions that don't involve setting up apache or multiple tomcats, or any reverse proxys?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2012

There's a very easy way to do this:

1. Edit the Tomcat's server.xml so that it runs on port 80 instead of 8008 or 8080 or whatever the current port is

2. Use DNS to map your desired url to land on that server.

Jason Stiefer November 15, 2012

So to complicate this a little more, what if that is not the only web app on the server? How do I bind that to a specific IP and Domain name?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2012

I think you'll need an application that can interpret incoming requests over the various ports and urls and route them to the correct place. i.e. Apache, reverse proxies, etc.

You might be able to do something clever in the network though. My (simple) router at home lets me do port-mapping, so when I land on my.home.url:1234 it takes me off to my media server running on port 8080, or if I use my.home.url:4321, it goes to the database server on the same machine.

Suggest an answer