Configuration of Custom Field stopped working

Dan Lohaus January 3, 2013

I am having a problem with configuring a custom field that I have reconfigured in the past 2 months. From the Custom Field screen, I select Configure from the drop-down off the Gear gadget. It takes me to the default contect of the custom field I am trying to edit. I select Edit Configuration and it should populate the issue types that it was previously associated with but does not. It show Any Issue Type even though the Custom Field screen showed 5 issue type. Also, if I attempt to make a change to the configuration and select Modify, I don't get an error and the change is NOT made. I have 2 fields this is happening to. Others work fine. It just so happens I have probably reconfigured these 2 fields the most. And before someone asked. I perform a Reindex after each change and we have recently restarted JIRA to see if this had any affect. I am looking for resolution or a log I can turn on to see if an error is being thrown but want to limit the log output as much as possible.

Our JIRA instance is 5.0.5 and is a standalone isolated network.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Lohaus February 12, 2013

All,

Wanted to provide an update....

Based on information Janet provided above, I looked at the table associated with field configuration. I found that the Field Configuration and FieldConfigSchemeIssueType tables had some anomalies. Even though the JIRA Database Integrity Checker passed with no errors, I had identified duplicate rows in the FieldConfiguration table and corresponding rows within the ...IssueType table that were of concern.

In the ...IssueType table there were 5 record referencing to 5 issue type 2 with the same field configuration and configuration scheme. The other three and 3 different configurations pointing to the 3 extra rows in the FieldConfiguration table with the same configuration scheme. The 2 fields I was having problems with showed this same pattern.

After sending logs and snippets to Atlassian Support there request for me to send the database which was not possible due to customer wishes. I asked for help from another JIRA administrator and conferred with him about options. We chose to make the changes to the underlying database. Backups were made, changes made, and all is resolved.

I do not know how the table got in the state that they were but I suspect that in performing import after import and making changes to fields, I may have skipped a reindex or something after a change and the import added the extra rows.

If anyone wants further information, you can contact me at dan.lohaus@ngc.com

0 votes
Dan Lohaus February 11, 2013

All,

Wanted to provide an update....

Based on information Janet provided above, I looked at the table associated with field configuration. I found that the Field Configuration and FieldConfigSchemeIssueType tables had some anomalies. Even though the JIRA Database Integrity Checker passed with no errors, I had identified duplicate rows in the FieldConfiguration table and corresponding rows within the ...IssueType table that were of concern.

In the ...IssueType table there were 5 record referencing to 5 issue type 2 with the same field configuration and configuration scheme. The other three and 3 different configurations pointing to the 3 extra rows in the FieldConfiguration table with the same configuration scheme. The 2 fields I was having problems with showed this same pattern.

After sending logs and snippets to Atlassian Support there request for me to send the database which was not possible due to customer wishes. I asked for help from another JIRA administrator and conferred with him about options. We chose to make the changes to the underlying database. Backups were made, changes made, and all is resolved.

I do not know how the table got in the state that they were but I suspect that in performing import after import and making changes to fields, I may have skipped a reindex or something after a change and the import added the extra rows.

If anyone wants further information, you can contact me at dan.lohaus@ngc.com

0 votes
Dan Lohaus January 7, 2013

I apologize. My query statement was incorrect. It returned 5 rows with a value in each of the issuetype fields.

0 votes
Dan Lohaus January 7, 2013

Thanks for the response Janet. I receive 0 rows returned on the seecond query.

I assume this is bad.

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2013

Hi Dan,

Tried the following SQL query to check if the custom field is associated to Any Issue Type or 5 Issue Types in database level:

1. check the customfield id

select id from customfield where cfname='<customfield_name>';

2. then:

select * from fieldconfigschemeissuetype where fieldconfigscheme in (select FIELDCONFIGSCHEME from configurationcontext where customfield='customfield_ID');

note: If the custom field is map to Any Issue Type, the ISSUTYPE column will have NULL value.

I would recommend creating a support ticket if this require further checking in the database as i am suspecting there is database inconsistency that might cause this.

Suggest an answer