Configuration of Custom Field stopped working

I am having a problem with configuring a custom field that I have reconfigured in the past 2 months. From the Custom Field screen, I select Configure from the drop-down off the Gear gadget. It takes me to the default contect of the custom field I am trying to edit. I select Edit Configuration and it should populate the issue types that it was previously associated with but does not. It show Any Issue Type even though the Custom Field screen showed 5 issue type. Also, if I attempt to make a change to the configuration and select Modify, I don't get an error and the change is NOT made. I have 2 fields this is happening to. Others work fine. It just so happens I have probably reconfigured these 2 fields the most. And before someone asked. I perform a Reindex after each change and we have recently restarted JIRA to see if this had any affect. I am looking for resolution or a log I can turn on to see if an error is being thrown but want to limit the log output as much as possible.

Our JIRA instance is 5.0.5 and is a standalone isolated network.

5 answers

1 accepted

All,

Wanted to provide an update....

Based on information Janet provided above, I looked at the table associated with field configuration. I found that the Field Configuration and FieldConfigSchemeIssueType tables had some anomalies. Even though the JIRA Database Integrity Checker passed with no errors, I had identified duplicate rows in the FieldConfiguration table and corresponding rows within the ...IssueType table that were of concern.

In the ...IssueType table there were 5 record referencing to 5 issue type 2 with the same field configuration and configuration scheme. The other three and 3 different configurations pointing to the 3 extra rows in the FieldConfiguration table with the same configuration scheme. The 2 fields I was having problems with showed this same pattern.

After sending logs and snippets to Atlassian Support there request for me to send the database which was not possible due to customer wishes. I asked for help from another JIRA administrator and conferred with him about options. We chose to make the changes to the underlying database. Backups were made, changes made, and all is resolved.

I do not know how the table got in the state that they were but I suspect that in performing import after import and making changes to fields, I may have skipped a reindex or something after a change and the import added the extra rows.

If anyone wants further information, you can contact me at dan.lohaus@ngc.com

0 vote
Janet Albion Atlassian Team Jan 07, 2013

Hi Dan,

Tried the following SQL query to check if the custom field is associated to Any Issue Type or 5 Issue Types in database level:

1. check the customfield id

select id from customfield where cfname='<customfield_name>';

2. then:

select * from fieldconfigschemeissuetype where fieldconfigscheme in (select FIELDCONFIGSCHEME from configurationcontext where customfield='customfield_ID');

note: If the custom field is map to Any Issue Type, the ISSUTYPE column will have NULL value.

I would recommend creating a support ticket if this require further checking in the database as i am suspecting there is database inconsistency that might cause this.

Thanks for the response Janet. I receive 0 rows returned on the seecond query.

I assume this is bad.

I apologize. My query statement was incorrect. It returned 5 rows with a value in each of the issuetype fields.

All,

Wanted to provide an update....

Based on information Janet provided above, I looked at the table associated with field configuration. I found that the Field Configuration and FieldConfigSchemeIssueType tables had some anomalies. Even though the JIRA Database Integrity Checker passed with no errors, I had identified duplicate rows in the FieldConfiguration table and corresponding rows within the ...IssueType table that were of concern.

In the ...IssueType table there were 5 record referencing to 5 issue type 2 with the same field configuration and configuration scheme. The other three and 3 different configurations pointing to the 3 extra rows in the FieldConfiguration table with the same configuration scheme. The 2 fields I was having problems with showed this same pattern.

After sending logs and snippets to Atlassian Support there request for me to send the database which was not possible due to customer wishes. I asked for help from another JIRA administrator and conferred with him about options. We chose to make the changes to the underlying database. Backups were made, changes made, and all is resolved.

I do not know how the table got in the state that they were but I suspect that in performing import after import and making changes to fields, I may have skipped a reindex or something after a change and the import added the extra rows.

If anyone wants further information, you can contact me at dan.lohaus@ngc.com

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

53 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you