Configuration for a Portfolio plan to calculate one team per Epic?

Jessica Riga October 23, 2015

A Portoflio plan I am working on is calculating multiple team assignments for every project. This is new behavior I haven't seen before, and isn't a realistic way for us to execute.

How can I configure the plan to only calculate one assigned team to each project?

1 answer

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2015

Hi Jessica, there is no static configuration for this (nothing like "assign only 1 team max. for epics"), but what we see very commonly is the use of "preferred teams" for a release stream. you could group each logical project into a release stream (in the releases section), and in there you can set a preferred team for an entire workstream. in this case only this preferred team will get automatically assigned, rather than multiple teams. 

The alternative is to use manual team assignments and assign the epic to exactly one team in the backlog table. 

Jessica Riga October 28, 2015

Hi Martin, I am trying to implement your suggestion of using release streams and having trouble. I have created a release stream for all of my teams and set one of them as the "preferred" for each. Then in the backlog I am asking the Plan to calculate the team assignments for each Epic. However all the epics are assigned to one release stream, the first in my list, even when the calculated team assignment is not a "preferred" team for the stream. I did some snooping and it seems that release streams are considered in a priority order? How can I get the Plan to consider all streams equally and return dates appropriately?

Jessica Riga May 16, 2016

Martin, I wanted to check back in and see if you have any further suggestions? Would JIRA consider developing a configuration to assign only 1 team max per epic? 

Mark Hortman March 6, 2017

Where is this manual team assignments that you speak of?  I cannot find that setting anywhere.

Darren Yeats January 12, 2018

In the Scope view click on the configure cog bottom right to add column 'Teams'. Then you can click on the 'Teams' field of each issue to edit.

Suggest an answer