Configuration for a Portfolio plan to calculate one team per Epic?

A Portoflio plan I am working on is calculating multiple team assignments for every project. This is new behavior I haven't seen before, and isn't a realistic way for us to execute.

How can I configure the plan to only calculate one assigned team to each project?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Jessica, there is no static configuration for this (nothing like "assign only 1 team max. for epics"), but what we see very commonly is the use of "preferred teams" for a release stream. you could group each logical project into a release stream (in the releases section), and in there you can set a preferred team for an entire workstream. in this case only this preferred team will get automatically assigned, rather than multiple teams. 

The alternative is to use manual team assignments and assign the epic to exactly one team in the backlog table. 

Hi Martin, I am trying to implement your suggestion of using release streams and having trouble. I have created a release stream for all of my teams and set one of them as the "preferred" for each. Then in the backlog I am asking the Plan to calculate the team assignments for each Epic. However all the epics are assigned to one release stream, the first in my list, even when the calculated team assignment is not a "preferred" team for the stream. I did some snooping and it seems that release streams are considered in a priority order? How can I get the Plan to consider all streams equally and return dates appropriately?

Martin, I wanted to check back in and see if you have any further suggestions? Would JIRA consider developing a configuration to assign only 1 team max per epic? 

Where is this manual team assignments that you speak of?  I cannot find that setting anywhere.

In the Scope view click on the configure cog bottom right to add column 'Teams'. Then you can click on the 'Teams' field of each issue to edit.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

257 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you