Configuration Recommendations

Geoff Zehring April 30, 2014

Is it ok to run Jira, Confluence and Stash on the same app server? The database is on it's own server.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2014

Hi Geoff,

it depends from server characteristics (disk space/memory and so on). Teorically there're no problem using the same server. Please, use a specific tomcat container for each application.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes

No worries, Nic. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again!

Geoff

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2014

I need to be careful here... When you say "app server"...

Do you mean the same physical or virtual server (I mean the hardware - cpu/memory/disk box)? Or do you really mean what you said, the "app server" - Tomcat/Websphere/Jetty etc?

If you mean the same physical machine running Jira, Confluence and Stash separately (i.e. three application servers), then yes, it will work, as long as you have enough resources for all three to run simultaneously.

If you really do mean all in the same container/app-server, then no, absolutely not. In theory you can. In reality, Atlassian really really really recommend you don't do it, and my opinion is that their advice is right - I've never seen it work well enough to be called anything better than "unhealthy". "Disasterous" would be a better word.

Many thanks for the speedy responses, Fabio and Nic. Sorry for the confusion concerning the term 'app server'. I meant it to mean the server hosting the applications, not the server hosting the database(s). Each app will definitely have it's own tomcat container. This helps a lot!

Cheers,

Geoff

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2014

Apologies for getting picky, but I've answered based on the wrong assumption of what someone means by "application server" too many times. What's particularly annoying is I use the term regularly myself without explaining which one I mean. I got caught a while ago when someone taking minutes of a technical meeting pointed out "Nic really did say that we could run several application servers on the application server". So now, I ask...

0 votes

The servers have 2 cpu with 8 cores each and 48 GB of memory. Expecting no more than ~200 users at a time.

Suggest an answer