Conf,Bbucket,Crucible all auth to Jira Local. Want to auth to AD.

Simeee December 7, 2017

Hi - so we have Jira (7.1) ,Confluence(5.9.6), Bit-bucket(4.6.2) and Crucible all running well in production for over 2 years with ~ 25 active users.

All authentication is handled by Jira Internal Directory. I want to keep everything the same (logins, names,issues, projects etc) except AD does the initial login authentication. Groups and permissions need to stay with Jira.

Internal Directory usernames are firstname.lastname 

I have setup our AD as a 2nd User Directory and can successfully test a user (all greens) using firstname.lastname

LDAP permissions are Read Only

I feel im close to moving AD above Jira in the directory order but just want a couple of thing clarifying.

My questions:

1. Have i setup the above correctly in that both internal Jira and domain AD use the same username format (firstname.lastname), which should allow users to be authenticated by AD - but still use the local Jira groups and permissions schemes already setup.
  2. Do i need to do anything with Confluence, Bit-bucket & Crucible ? Will they still point to Jira and as long as Jira is authenticating to AD, the user will be authenticated as usual ? Or do i need to point them all at AD separately ?

Thanks for any help.

4 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2017

No, you're in the right place, but there's a lot of noise here and I am really sorry, but we've let you down.  We are a community of end-users of Atlassian stuff, and most of us don't get paid to be here (if you see "Atlassian" in a person's display name, they probably do.  Otherwise...)

So...

1.  Yes, retaining the login name is absolutely the best approach

2.  Possibly not.  In later versions of the software, the login id is not the key - the systems will be aware that "Simee in LDAP" is not "Simee in the internal directory", so when you swap the directory order, it will see them as different humans.

Unusually for me, I'd take a look in the database.  Does cwd_user see two sets of users in different directories?

0 votes
Simeee December 18, 2017

wrong product ?
wrong company ?

:P

0 votes
Simeee December 13, 2017

wrong forum ?

0 votes
Simeee December 11, 2017

No suggestions ?

Any info i neglected to include in the above ?

Suggest an answer