Conditions for fields in Issues creations on jira cloud

DADSI Haitam April 28, 2021

Hello community,

we are using Jira cloud in my company. In the create issue tab, i would like to add a condition over two fields making them dependent on each other with defined rules : for instance i have field1 and field2, i want something like this : field1 = SomeCountry -> field2 = [options Based on that country]

In a previous question, Cascading fields were proposed, but in our case we're using Timesheets reports and one of our admins can't have those type of fields in those reports.

Is there a way i can code something (a plugin, add-on, extension or such) to make these conditions over my fields? We'd like to avoid any paid solution for the moment (but if there's a tool for it please propose it)

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

Hi, unfortunately there is not a way to implement dynamic options like this in Jira.

The best I can think of is have a plugin that supports validators written using Jira Expressions.

These include:

This would allow you to construct a validator that if: field1 = SomeCountry, then only certain options in field2 are valid, otherwise it will throw an error. You would want to describe the restrictions in the Field Description, as well as the error message.

It's incredibly bad UI (violates the principle of least surprise), but it's what we've got. :-/

Let us know if you want to give one of those a try (Cloud Workflows is the most reasonable if this is the only feature you're looking for) and we can help construct an expression. It's tricky stuff, but also kind of fun.

DADSI Haitam April 29, 2021

Thanks @Darryl Lee , i'm trying to avoid paid solutions for now. I'm new to Jira, so here's my question: Is there a way i can develop my own Jira plugin or a chrome extension with these validators using javascript that'll allow put conditions over those fields ?

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Hi @DADSI Haitam, in theory yes, there is a way to do this yourself. You would create a Connect app which can contain a workflow validator. Here's some relevant links:

And I think that somebody else may be trying to do something similar, in this question:

Like DADSI Haitam likes this
DADSI Haitam April 29, 2021

Okay, i'll go ahead and try to do something using the Connect app, thanks

DADSI Haitam May 4, 2021

Hello @Darryl Lee , am i gonna be able to do this with forge instead of Connect ?

Thanks!

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2021

WHOOPS, nevermind Dynamic Custom Fields for Jira. That's for creating "computed custom fields".

Different kind of dynamic.

Suggest an answer