Conditional workflow in Jira

Dainius Žilys February 28, 2014

Hello,

I'd like to create a special "task flow" to behave like this:

- Creating an issue by selecting "special task" issue type;

- Next window (screen) should appear with a specified input fields only;

- Depending on some field values (checkbox'es), the issue should be assigned automatically to some person to confirm the issue. For ex., by checking checkbox'es "Mr. bean, Mr Alan", the issue should be assigned to Mr bean. After his confirmation, it should be assigned to Mr Alan, who whould accept (close) or reject the issue.

- It should work with any project.

Seems, that a "workflow" in Jira is very close to create such behaviour, but I was unable to do it due to lack of experience (I'm just evaluating Jira product). Maybe somebody could provide some step-by-step instruction, which steps should I perform to create that?

The result for "Mr mean" must be as simple as possible - to accept or to reject the issue.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2014

I think you can do this.

I would clone the default workflow, but I think you can also just edit it.

You should install JIRA SUite Utilities or the Script Runner plugin, both free (we use both!).

Make the value (not necessary display) of the checkboxes == the username for ease, though not required.

- Creating an issue by selecting "special task" issue type;

1) Create a new issue type "special task".

- Next window (screen) should appear with a specified input fields only;

2) Create a custom "Screen", add the fields you want.

3) Make the first edit to the workflow. IN the transition from "create" to "open" you can edit the transition properties. One of which is the screen to use. Choose your screen from the last step.

- Depending on some field values (checkbox'es), the issue should be assigned automatically to some person to confirm the issue. For ex., by checking checkbox'es "Mr. bean, Mr Alan", the issue should be assigned to Mr bean. After his confirmation, it should be assigned to Mr Alan, who whould accept (close) or reject the issue.

4) make the second edit to the workflow, same transition, but this time add a "post-function" and

use the JIRA suite plugins "copy field value .." if checkbox==username https://jsutil.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Post-Functions#JIRASuiteUtilitiesWorkflowPost-Functions-CopyValueFromOtherFieldPost-Function

oterwise the set field by property option should work, but requires some groovy knowledge.

with Jamie's plugin installed you will have the option to configure https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-Workflowfunctions-Post-functionsto set the value of a custom field via a custom script.

- It should work with any project.

Make sure your workflow is assigned to all projects via a workflow scheme.

Suggest an answer