Conditional webhook triggering

Philippe_Constant April 13, 2017

Hi, i'm using webhooks to synchronize JIRA with a in-house project management software and the data synchronization is bi-directional. Therefore, I need to know when someone modifies something in JIRA to update our DB but also update JIRA when someone updates our DB. The problem comes when a webhook is triggered everytime I use the API to send the new issue data, my software gets called by the webhook with the data that I just sent, which creates useless network traffic and potentially more concurrent access problems. I'm looking for an elegant way to prevent my system of having to process a webhook request everytime I make modifications to JIRA using the API. (The same service is used to send requests to and handle webhooks from JIRA)

Thank you

1 answer

1 vote
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2017

I think the only thing you could do is to edit your webhook processor script that's updating your in-house software to ignore updates triggered by the account you're using with the API. That's if this account isn't used for any other purpose. I couldn't think of a way that you could prevent the webhook from being triggered at all.

Philippe_Constant May 8, 2017

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Suggest an answer