Conditional auto-assign in workflow

Theo Pozzy October 16, 2013

A lot of the stories in our backlog (OnDemand) are pre-assigned to individuals, but not all of them. During our sprint planning meetings, I (acting as the scrum master/facilitator) often need to move tasks in progress or to complete. Because I have auto-assign enabled, it always reassigns them to me.

I know I can turn auto-assign off, but the behavior I would really like is that auto-assign would happen only if the story is unassigned. I have already created a custom workflow, and I'm willing to put the logic in there, but I'm not that experienced with workflows yet, and I'm not sure quite how to do it. I would think some kind of conditional post-processing operation would work, but I'm not sure how to create a condition that is based on whether the Assignee is assigned or not.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Kelly October 16, 2013

What I've done is the following.

Create a role that includes the group of people available for assigning in your project.

Then tie a post function to the transition. You can use the 'Assign to role member' post function from the 'Jira Misc Workflow Extensions' plugin.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions

It will randomly assign a user from that role to the ticket. If you are not in the role, then you will not get assigned.

Christopher Emerson September 13, 2017

Is there an out of the box way to do this w/Vanilla JIRA?

Suggest an answer