Condition or validate subtask based on a parent's field

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013

I would like to base a subtask workflow on the value of a parent's field.

The best I can do is to copy the parent field value to the subtask field and validate or condition on that.

Anyone know a way to do this that I haven't been able to think of?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2013

Used Slingshot add-in to copy parent field to subtask field. Then based subtask workflow on subtask field.

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2013

WE are pursuing a solution. I will report back here when I have info.

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

I probably have a stricter definition of "jailbreak." I don't want to have to support a custom plugin I wrote -- or more exactly, I don't want others to have to deal with it after I am gone.

I have found a paid plugin that supports this and will probably go that route.

Thanks.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

The other option is to write custom conditions or validators which looks at the parent issues task. If you already figured out how to copy the parent field values to subtasks, that is probably easier!

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

Jobin, thanks for the suggestion.

I do the copy from parent on every transition. Yes, that is a weak approach. I'd love to find a way to push the parent field value to the subtask on any field change, but alas...

One of my givens is that I don't wan to "jailbreak" JIRA -- by which I mean I don't want to do any custom coding in the Java. That is a maintenance black hole I don't want to enter.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

I'd love to find a way to push the parent field value to the subtask on any field change, but alas...

You can do that in a listener. Writing a plugin won't be jail breaking JIRA. "Java" code can be within the plugins ;)

Suggest an answer