Condition information during status change

Uwe Sauerbrei January 16, 2013

There is an option to define a condition before a status change takes place. In my concret case there is a value to be checked not to exceed a specific value. If the value is greater than the specified value, the status change action will not be displayed. My problem here is, that the user has no information why he can't proceed, since there is no message that he has entered a wrong value. This makes the condition option useless. Are there any recommendation to get around ?

Thanks, Uwe

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2013

The other option is a validator - let the user into the transition, don't use conditions. Then when the user tries to commit it with invalid information, they will be returned to the transition screen with an error message explaining why they cannot proceed.

Udo's suggestion is really good if you want to block the user before they even start a transition - that's often nicer than using a validator.

I used validation ( the modified basic script) to fulfill the task but was wondering, why do conditions exist without notification and if there is something I have not found.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2013

It's about human behaviour and simplicity.

If you give a human the option to do something, you need to tell them why they can't do it if you then block them (so validators have feedback)

If you do not offer them the option to do something, then you don't need to explain why you are not offering it to them. You wouldn't want to litter a screen with loads of "you can't do X because..." messages when most of the time, the users don't even want to do X

In this case though, I'd be tempted to use a message field (from the Jira Toolkit plugin) to explain why they can't do it.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Instead of a condition, use a validator and also add that value to the screen. This will throw and error and the user will be able to know why.

Use script runner if you need to add a validator that checks the value.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Well, you could add another transition from step A to step A with the opposite condition (value must be greater than specified value) and name the transition "reduce value". Add a screen in this transition where the user can reduce the value of that field.

Interesting idea. I'll try this to get some feeling for this solution. Thanks

Suggest an answer