Condition depending on Parent Issue Customfield Value

Michel Marcoux September 14, 2017

Hi!

I would like to add a condition on a sub-task transition button to be activated only a customfield of the parentissue have a specific value.

ex: if the customfield 'City' = 'Atlanta' in my parentissue, i want the transition button of the sub-task to be activated.

thanks in advance for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2017

You could do this if you were to add Scriptrunner to JIRA.  Natively JIRA can't create this kind of workflow condition.  But with scriptrunner, you can create a workflow condition called "Script Condition".  Selecting that option then provides a couple of different ways you could go about creating this condition.  The more complex methods are to use either a Custom script or simple script condition.

But in my case, I was able to use the "Allow the transition if this query matches a JQL query"   Since ScriptRunner adds a bunch of additional JQL functions, we can actually use those here to find this information.   Your query might looks something like this:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("City=Atlanta")

This JQL query only returns issues that are subtasks where the parent issue has a value of "Atlanta" for the field "City".

Oh, also I should note, I created a separate workflow for my subtask issue type to follow in my project.   Not sure if you were planning to do this, but this makes it easier to make sure this condition only gets applied to that workflow that only controls those specific issue types.  Otherwise if you're using the same workflow for your subtasks as other issue types, this condition could theoretically prevent issues without a parent issue from transitioning here.

Michel Marcoux September 15, 2017

it worked like a charm (with Script Runner)

Thank you very much for your time!

Suggest an answer