Component leads not receiving notifications per notification scheme

Sam Robertson October 3, 2017

I have a few components set up with leads that point to a distribution list. The notification scheme is set to notify component leads on certain events like issue created, issue updated, etc., but the notifications aren't working.

Using the notification helper, I don't even see mentions of component lead. It says the component lead isn't receiving notification because it doesn't meet the criteria for other notification rules, but it notification help has no mention of the component lead notification rules.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2017

Hi Sam,

Sorry to hear there is a problem here with notifications.  I went through my Jira Server 7.5.0 instance and tried to recreate this problem.  I created a new component, assigned a lead to that component, and then modified by notification scheme to include issue created and issue edited to go to component leads.

In my instance my component lead did get the notification for these events.

You are correct in that the notification assistant is currently unable to account for the Component Lead as an option in regards to getting notifications.  I found that even my system where I was getting notifications still had the helper indicating the user is not going to receive notifications.  There is an existing bug for this limitation of the notification helper over at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-31704.

But back to your current problem.  All I can think of is that either the messages are being sent but not received, OR if these accounts that are component leads do not have the Browse permission on this project Jira still could not send out notifications on these issues.   So first I would try using the permission helper to confirm that these accounts do have the browse permission on this particular project.  If they don't have this, Jira still won't send out notifications to them, it can't.

If they do have this permission, and you're still not seeing notifications sent out, the next steps I'd recommend would be to turn on debug outgoing mail if you're using Jira server.  From there I'd be interested to see what your $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log files looks like at the time this issue is created/updated.  And if you're using Jira Cloud, it might be best to raise a support request with our Cloud support team to help investigate the details here.

Suggest an answer