Component Picker as custom field type

Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2013

Hello, everyone:

I'm trying to create a Custom Field type component, which grabs the project components.

if in JIRA I can create a custom field type version, why can't I create custom field type component?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2013

Components are not a custom-field type, they are a system built-in field.

You ask why there is a version-picker but no component-picker - all it would do is duplicate the functionality the component field already does, and confuse the users (Which one do you actually fill in?)

Could you explain the use-case in case I'm missing something?

Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2013

Thanks. I don't even needed a Components field type

Jason Brison July 21, 2014

It wouldn't duplicate functionality, there is a 'project' picker field. Some might want the functionality of picking a project in the project picker field and then a component in the component picker field.

David Grierson January 11, 2016

You are missing something @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] - see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33145481/component-picker-type-custom-field for a perfectly valid use-case.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2016

Mmm, it's not really. Why would one component cause a problem and another one fix it? That's versions.

David Grierson January 11, 2016

Let's say there's a UI component and a database component. 1) Someone implements a change to database component (e.g. changes the length of a string column) - change is delivered. 2) Defect is identified in the UI due to this change (e.g. because this column has changed size and the UI code was expecting the previous size). So if you're wanting to track and measure the source of defects to a system you may want to track the component where the cause was found separately to the component where a defect was fixed. There are other valid use-cases where you might want to have additional fields selecting from the Component list.

Don Breslauer November 3, 2018

We are implementing change management in JIRA:  A change targets one component (use case #1 for component picker), but that change can impact other components (use case #2 fo component picker). It's not at all confusing or duplicative.

Suggest an answer