Component Level Versions?

kurk laird April 25, 2012

My companies current processes rely on versioning on what would be defined as a component within JIRA. Is there a method for tracking version information at this level? Managing each component as a separate project would not be feasible in our structure.

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2012

Component versioning is a long-standing open feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3501

The updated description that says ..."we won't be able to fit this issue into the JIRA roadmap for the next 12 months" was added on May 27th 2011 - so I guess that we are in with a chance for 2012. But I would not hold my breath.

Note that there is a suggested work-around: use cascading select custom field.

Joe Pursel August 16, 2019

Checking the link in the above comment shows that this issue is Resolved as Won't Do.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2020

Hi, if you're still looking for the component version solution, we included this functionality in our app - Octo - Component Management for Jira.

The app allows you to create component releases that can be managed independent of your project releases. You can use JQL to filter for issues assigned to ComponentVersion and you can also link your component releases to your project release.

If you're interested in more details about the functionality you can read more here.

VVor January 17, 2021

Cloud only solution... :o(

2 votes
Tim Black September 20, 2019

There's a free non-plugin solution available.

Components are strings and can be used to track any aspect of your project which you find useful.

Versions don't have to be numbers; they are also just strings. 

So, just create Components corresponding to each of your microservices/apps/whatever, e.g. serviceA, serviceB...

Then create Versions using a <Component>-<version number> convention, e.g. serviceA-1.0,  serviceA-1.1...

How is this not as good as the Component Versioning everyone asked for and will never get anyway?

The only problem I have come across with this approach is that you're forced to abbreviate your Component names to keep the Version strings short, so that they are fully visible in the Version labels you see in Issue lists. Not a huge deal given that Component Descriptions can be verbose. 

1 vote
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

We have developed a JIRA plugin that allows component specific version numbers. It enforces component specific versions on issue create, edit, inline edit and workflow screens. You can check it out at Atlassian Marketplace (Component and Bundle Versions for JIRA) or at read the plug-in's help page for more detailed manual. This Plugin also allows you to group different versions of different components into one bundle. At issue creation page, if you do not select any component, this plugin only allows you to select bundle version numbers. It also provides two new JQL functions (affectsBundle and fixedInBundle) to query issues affecting a bundle. We welcome any feedbacks.

1 vote
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2012

As Mark suggested a cascading select would work.

Another option is to use the behaviours plugin and take a look at the behaviour to 'Add or remove options to a single or multi-select fileds, (https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JBHV/Miscellaneous+Behaviours+Examples#MiscellaneousBehavioursExamples-Addorremoveoptionstosingleormultiselectfields) The example that is given there is with componenets and subcomponents, or in your case it would be components and component versions.

0 votes
Roey Shamir December 24, 2019

Hi, you are more than welcome to try my plugin for free - Version Manager for JIRA cloud.

Not only does it let you delegate the manage versions permission to whoever you decide but it also lets you assign components to versions.

Suggest an answer