Complying with GDPR for Atlassian tools server versions inside US

Vinoth V January 10, 2018

Hello,

Can anyone suggest on how to comply with GDPR w.r.t user data maintained in servers inside US but user data which belong to EU ?

My Organization resides in US but major part of users are from EU. So those users wanted to know about the status of GDPR compliance in our case. 

My Org.'s Atlassian tools are non-cloud based. Obviously, user data is being stored locally (physical server / VM). 

Tools we use : Jira, Confluence, BitBucket

WR,

Vinoth

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

Hi Vinoth,

If you were using the Cloud implementation of Atlassian products your instances would automatically become compliant by May 2018 per Atlassian and GDPR – Our commitment to data privacy.

In the case of any data Atlassian may have:

We strive to build privacy into everything we do. We apply privacy guidelines and practices to protect all personal information including controlling how we use and safeguard the data we collect from our customers, users and through our products and services. You can find out more about our data and security practices by reviewing Trust@Atlassian.com. You can also revew our Privacy Statement, available at https://www.atlassian.com/legal/privacy-policy. You can be assured that Atlassian does not sell your personal data. Additionally, we will not share your personal data with unaffiliated third parties for their own marketing uses without your explicit consent."

Other than that the only requirements would be the data compliance that GDPR requires from your end as you shouldn't have any user data hosted by Atlassian if everything is local.

Hopefully that helps.  If you have any additional questions or I'm misunderstanding your request let me know.

Cheers,

Branden

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2018

How will this affect server instances of JIRA that are accessed worldwide via a VPN, including a public instances and a private instance?

Paul Smullen April 18, 2018

Hi @somethingblue

Can you clarify the situation with data at rest please?  Are Atlassian going to allow customers choose a region for their data to reside or not?  It is a yes/no answer.  

Privacy shield/safe harbour etc. are not the same thing.  As a cloud provider, Atlassian need to offer this or start losing a lot of EU customers as it is simply not worth the headache having to tell our customers that sensitive data may be stored anywhere that Atlassian chooses.  They need to know.

Many thanks,

Paul

Suggest an answer