Complex JQL queries - finding specific issues with parents, subtasks, etc.

mrdao February 27, 2013

Hi, this is the query I'm trying to do:

All issues that are Bugs with 0 subtasks OR subtasks with Parents as a Bug.

The main reason with this is because our QA team has filed various sub-tasks within a Bug because they broke the parent bug even further. For me I just want to see the scope of the parent bug and how much stuff is within it. When I do an issue search, if I just search for IssueType "sub-task" it'll show all my Stories subtasks. If I just do Bugs and sub-tasks, it'll also show the parent bug in my list as well as the children sub-tasks separately and that gets confusing.

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

This is pretty similar to this question, but simpler.

To find Bugs without subtasks:

issueFunction not in hasSubtasks() and issuetype = Bug

To find subtasks of Bugs:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuetype = Bug")

You can combine these to create:

(issueFunction not in hasSubtasks() and issuetype = Bug) OR issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuetype = Bug")

mrdao March 4, 2013

Thanks for that. Any ideas on how to do it witout the extra plugin? Was trying to avoid using those since I don't have access to install.

Nicolas Casel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2018

Thanks Jamie.

Actually the query you wrote:

issueFunction not in hasSubtasks() and issuetype = Bug

helps me getting all subtasks except the ones related to a Bug. I get it like this:

project = EXCTDWHI AND issuetype in (Epic, Spike, Story, Sub-task, Task) AND NOT issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuetype = Bug")

Suggest an answer