Company wide Resource Management

James Carwell August 11, 2022

I'm interested in seeing if we could use Jira to become our resource management tool.  There are a couple things we would want it to do.  Since we don't assign our backlog to individuals until the start of a sprint, could we initially assign the backlog/tasks to a functional area (mechanical, software, hardware, etc).  That way we could produce a resource management view that would give the manager of a functional area how many full time equivalents (FTE) they need.  So for instance I could have thousands of tasks across 50 programs that show the "demand" for mechanical engineers over the next 6 months.  Then the Mechanical engineering manager can determine if he/she has enough staff to support the demand.

Then as tasks get assigned for sprints to individuals we can drill down deeper and see how loaded individuals are over the next month.  

This is something I've been thinking about and would like to understand if others have already solved this problem.  It would be great if we could tie our resource management into our program execution process rather than manual handling our resource management information outside of that.

0 answers

Suggest an answer