Communications Breakdown error using inline edit in JIRA 5.1

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

Has anyone encountered a "Communications Breakdown" error message when trying to save a change using inline edit on an issue in a JIRA 5.1 instance? I don't see anything when I search for that term.

We are testing JIRA 5.1 for upgrade from a 4.4.1 installation. Editing fields using the standard Edit button to load the edit page works. With inline edit, though, clicking the checkmark button after making a change will not save anything; it generates the error message and the field loading animation continues to spin until you reload the page.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2012

That is a generic error that comes during AJAX calls to the server side code. You will be able to find the actual error message in the log files. Have a look in the atlassian-jira.log file.

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2012

Thank you Jobin. The log file entry led me to https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/70841/java-lang-runtimeexception-project-isn-t-found-null-when-editing-jira-issue, which helped me identify the plugin that was causing the problem. A recently released plugin update solved the issue.

Suggest an answer