Common select list for multiple custom fields

Jenin CM July 25, 2013

Hi All,

We have a project where we have a number of select list custom fields and all these fields have common set of values. For eg, Project Status, Development Status, Team Status are custom fields with common values as Red, Green and Amber. Can we have something where we can use the same select list for multiple fields in Jira so that there values have same id's and hence making it easier to pull data using REST API or else we need to pull id's for all the values , though they have common values but different id's.

Thanks and Regards,

Jenin C M

2 answers

0 votes
F_ GARFAGNI March 19, 2020

Hi All.

I was wondering if there had been progress on this subject?
I have the same type of need for slightly different reasons:
- several fields with the same answers 'Not yet rated' / 'Yes' / 'No'
- several 'Product & Version' fields (1 for the defect initialy found, 1 for the latest product version on which the defect was reproduced, 1 for the fix delivery).

One solution could consist in offering the ability 1/ to define pick-list and 2/ to assign it to different custom fields.

Regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2020

The request to implement something like this has garned no interest, so Atlassian have done nothing.

That's a pity.

Regards

Like Griffin Warburton likes this
Samantha Greene January 13, 2021

Is there a ticket looking to gather interest?

I have the same use case where we have a few fields that use the same list of values and we have to update all of them each time there is a change. It would be nice to have one list that is used by each of the fields (also reduce cases of manual error in keeping the lists consistent).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Not an open one, no.  It's still a very simple response of "stop using different fields for the same thing"

Samantha Greene January 13, 2021

And for customers who are using different fields for different things, but where the values that can be selected are the same?

Your response comes across as very dismissive as opposed to asking if there is a use case for the same list of values being used in two or more contexts. In case there is some chance a ticket might be raised, the group I currently work with is central tech that supports a number of teams. One example of a list we use multiple times is of those teams we support. At the individual PBI level, when requests are brought to us we record a "reported by team". Also at the PBI level as well as on Epics we have a multi-select "required by team/s" to track both for things reported by other teams and things logged internally which are requirements for the next shipping increment of our customers. Additionally we have a "feedback required from" field on Initiatives to track which customers have provided us feedback on our long running programs and which our engagement group are yet to consult. The list of shipping teams for each of these fields is identical, any time a team is added or removed it needs to be done for all 3 fields. We are not "using different fields for the same thing".

Like Griffin Warburton likes this
Griffin Warburton June 4, 2021

I have essentially the same need as Samantha.  If there was a request that means there was interest, so it seems that there wasn't "enough" interest.

So, where is that thing so Samantha & I can go add our voices to the list?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2013

No, there's nothing in Jira that provides many fields from one list, except the versions fields.

You'll need to find or write a plugin to provide that. I'm afraid the only ones I've seen are very much like versions though - they have dedicated and specific purposes, which makes them less functional as generalised fields.

Suggest an answer