Commits links broken after migration to Jira cloud (issue Key changed)

Traian Barjac May 24, 2022

Hello,

We did a data centre to cloud migration for a couple of projects using csv import.
We brought 10 on-prem project into 1 cloud project, so the issue key has changed for all 10 projects.

Now the commits links are broken and they are not pointing to the issues in the cloud.

This applies for bitbucket, bamboo and Github.

What would be the best option to relink the tickets?

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2022

Hi Traian,

I understand that you migrated from data center to cloud and at the same time change the project key of many issues.  That will make re-linking these issues extremely difficult if not impossible.  The way Jira links to such development data is via the Jira issuekey being included in the commit title, commit message, branch name, pull request title, pull request description, and alike.

Jira can handle when an issue is moved to a new project within the same site for these redirections.  However because you have changed systems (DC > Cloud) and placed these issues into a new project here, I don't think that kind of redirection would be possible here.  Because Jira did not move these issues from the old project, the redirection cannot be made here.

I understand there were 10 projects consolidated down to one project.  If that consolidation could have taken place within Cloud itself, instead of during the migration, then this might work. But that would require you to import these issues to have the exact same issuekeys in Cloud that they had in Data Center first.  If you can do that, and then link in the development data, it should be functional at that stage.  From there you could then use the bulk change in Jira to move all the issues in say 9 of those projects to one single project if you wish.

I can't feasibly seen another alternative here.  We can't easily make changes to the development data because now it doesn't have a clear link to the new issuekeys to help identify which issue corresponds to new key.

Does that make sense?

Andy

Traian Barjac July 22, 2022

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking to do the same, but instead of creating 10 projects in the cloud and then move the tickets into 1 project, maybe move all tickets in Data Center in 1 project and then migrate them all to the cloud in 1 project. Do you think this will work as well?

Also since we are on this topic i have another question: the issue is that even after migrating the tickets to the cloud and keeping the same key, from bitbucket side they are still pointing to the tickets on-prem. Is there any way to update the commits links to point to the cloud tickets even for closed tickets?

Thank you
Traian

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2022

To answer the second part first:  In order to get these issues to link you do need to first add the integration between Jira Cloud and that development tool.  For Bitbucket that would be done in the DVCS settings.  For Github, you need to add the Marketplace App https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219592/github-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview first.  Only once Jira Cloud has access to that data, can it then sync that information about existing issue keys.

And to the first paragraph: The problem here is that in order to maintain the link here, those issues need to have existed on Jira Cloud by the old issue keys.  Because I'm not confident that the moved issue key is something that will be migrated when you move between Server and Cloud.  If you can do it the way I'm suggesting, I'm more confident that you can then move these issues within Cloud in order to get those redirects to work as expected.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events