Comment 'viewable by' - cannot see my group?

paul vinter November 27, 2013

So, I am almost there with this project but one thing is bugging me.

I have added a group with just one member, this being the 4th group I have created in Jira.

On a transition, under the comment box is the dropdown 'Viewable by....' - I can only see 3 groups there, not the new one I have created.

I cannot see anything in the permissions scheme which might affect this but I may be missing something?

I have reindexed.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

4 answers

3 votes
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2017

Hello!

I found an answer to this: after JIRA 7, there is a sort of bug for which the admin is not considered super-user for what concerns roles (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-62286)

Basically: if you want to find a certain role or group in the drop-down where you chose to whom to restrict comments, you need to be member of all those roles or groups. Being admin is not enough.

tried and it works, case closed :)

thanks

Barb O'Connell November 10, 2017

Very useful, thanks @mfabris!

Sebastian Gomez April 11, 2019

Thank you @mfabris this worked for me too. As long as you are in a group you will see it in the drop down section.

I wonder if there is a way to allow users to comment to groups they are not a part of?

0 votes
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2017

Hello @Barb O'Connell

I have the same issue here.

First i thought it coule be because the role i created did not have the "Browse Project" permission, but even after changing that I still cannot see that role in the drop down.

I wonder if anything needs to be configured in the jira config file for this, but even after an intense search I could not find an answer to this...

Any expert?

Barb O'Connell November 8, 2017

Hi @mfabris, I did solve this problem by adding Global Role called "Project Members" for the purpose of using in comment restrictions "Viewable by...".   In version 6.4.x, go to System | Security | Roles (so not at the project role level, it's global).  Then of course, populate it at the project level with users and it will be available in the Viewable by dropdown to those project users in the group only.  Let me know if you have further questions.

mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2017

Hi @Barb O'Connell

thank you for the answer

I have this issue on JIRA 7.2; in JIRA 7.2 you are forced to create a role as global before it can apply to a project (so the steps you followed are mandatory in 7.2 and I needed to do them in order to have the role available on the project; still, they do not appear in the drop down)

Your answer does not solve my problem but it somewhat helps, as I understand the problem must be somewhere else :)

therefore thanks a lot, and have a nice thursday !

If anybody else have any other suggestion, thanks in advance

0 votes
Barb O'Connell October 16, 2017

I have a similar problem.  I have created a new Project Role and in the Project, assigned a person to the role, but I still cannot see any more than 3 Project Roles in the Comments "Viewable by...".  The 3 roles are "Adminstrators", "Developers", "Users".  Not any of the ones we added.  My configuration in System | Options | Comment Visibility is "Project Roles Only".  So I should see all of the project roles right?

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2013

can check Comment visibility option value on general settings, it should be Groups & Project Roles has selected.

check this doc

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA+Options

Suggest an answer