Comment responses not appearing in the app?

tomgocatch April 22, 2012

I have integrated JMC with the next version of our app and am very happy with it. When I first integrated the feedback mechanism I was seeing server side comments and even implemented some UI to show when new messages arrive based on the issue count:

[JMCIssueStoreinstance].newIssueCount

This was working fine until a couple of days ago. The feedback (crashes etc) from the client app appear on the server and in the client's local feedback list, but any responses we add to the issues in Jira do not appear in the chat window.

My JMC options are:

photos:YES
                                               voice:YES
                                      crashReporting:YES
                                        notifications:NO
                                        customFields:nil];

Have I broken something on our side or are responses not coming through JMC at the moment?

Edit

Ok. So turning of notifications on the JCM options prevents delivery of feedback respones. Is there a way to still get the responses, but not show the notification bar?

Another Edit

Having a look at the JMC code, doesn't look like I can decouple the notification bar with the delivery of responses. In the meantime I am removing the notification alert code from the notify: message in JMCNotifier.m. So my version looks like:

- (void)notify:(NSTimer *)timer {}

So, I turn the notifications option on, but don't get the notification bar at the bottom of the screen. Be great if there was an option for this in future versions of JMC.

It occurs to me that if I want to have realtime responses in the app, then I probably would need a callback of some kind that gets called from the timer message. I don't need that level of responsiveness (just happy to occasionally check for new messages via newIssueCount and upate my UI at that point).

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2012

Hi Tom,

You have the notifications:NO option set. This will prevent the JMCPinger from retrieving any comments from JIRA.

If you run your app in the Simulator with the JMC_DEBUG flag, you should see this during initialisation:

"Notifications are disabled."

Try setting that option to YES and see if that fixes things.

Cheers,

Nick

tomgocatch April 26, 2012

Ah ok. I thought the notifications flag just controlled the popover panel at the bottom of the screen (I implemented my own version of that by accessing the newIssueCount on the JMCIssueStoreInstance). I'll update my question ... ;)

2 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2012

Hi Tom - Just letting you know that I have added the new feature to allow notifications to be received via JMC, yet give control to the developer to decide exactly how the notification should be displayed in your App.

via https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jiraconnect-ios/changeset/57faea55d5d1

It is now possible to set the notificationsViaCustomView JMCOption and somewhere in your App, register for a JMCNotificationMessaageReceived Notification like so:
[[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] addObserver:self selector:@selector(displayJMCNotification:)
name:JMCNotificationMessageReceived object:nil];
The message received will be in the userInfo dict keyed by JMCNotificationMessaageReceivedMessage.
This then allows the developer to decide exactly how the HUD should be displayed within their app. e.g. a UIAlertView, or their own custom HUD.

NB: This change also removes the beta NotifiyViaAlertView option.

See: https://connect.onjira.com/browse/CONNECT-166 for more details.

Cheers,

Nick

tomgocatch May 17, 2012

Thanks Nick. That sounds good :)

0 votes
tomgocatch April 26, 2012

Thanks Nick. I'll do that.

The rational for separating the two is so that I can see responses in my JMC chat window, but not have the notification UI in my app. The current notification panel doesn't fit our aesthetic at all and we are much happier using our own UI to tell the user about responses:

0 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2012

Hi Tom,

I can sort-of see a use-case for this. I have created http://connect.onjira.com/browse/CONNECT-166 to track this feature request. It would be great if you could update that ticket (you can create an account on that instance) with your thoughts and also mention why you would need both decoupled.

Cheers,

Nick!

Suggest an answer