Comment edits are not shown in History

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2012

Changes from all fields are displayed in a "Original Value -> New Value" table, but there seems to be no way to get the old value of an edited comment!

Is this intentional, or a bug?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2012

Hi Thomas,

there's an old issue for that: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12400

Vote for it and hope, someday it will come true ;-)

Best regards

Thomas

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2012

Thanks, I voted for it - but my hopes are rather low...

Like Benjamin Slade likes this
1 vote
Paul Clark _Redmoon Software_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 21, 2013

If you are interested I have created a Comment History plugin for JIRA that is now available on the marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.redmoon.jira.commenthistory.commenthistory

catalin_ciurea May 14, 2014

Does this plugin have a REST API or any kind of API for programmatic acces ?

Thanks.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 15, 2014

Hi Catalin

What functionality are you wanting from the rest API? At the moment it has a rest api that I use for getting all history for an Issue but I can add to that if you let me know what you want.

Thanks

catalin_ciurea May 16, 2014

Paul, thanks for the info.

JIRA doesn't save the comments history in the changelog. That is mainly my problem. If I check the Changelog I need to get the timestamp and look in the comments to get the corresponding comment (if there is one).

Not a big deal for me. It can be done with a bit work, but I was curious about the functionality of your plugin.

Thanks.

Marketplace Partner
May 17, 2014

The plugin will allow you to see all of the history for a comment by clicking on the history icon to the right of the comment. This is useful if you know the comment that you want to see the history for.

The Comment History tab will show all comments and there history on the screen at the same time. This could suit you if you find a comment in the change log. Just copy the comment and do a browser based search in the comment history tab. You will see the comment that was changed, the current comment and all of its history.

The Comment History tab is also the only place that you can view deleted comments (and their history).

I hope this helps

Thanks

Suggest an answer