Combine issues from a Scrum and KANBAN Project

Brad Marlin October 25, 2019

I have a project that is scrum and has sprints. I have another that is KANBAN. The team would like to see the issues from the KANBAN project on their Scrum project board so they can work on these during the sprint. They can't add the issues to the scrum project as it is using a unified backlog for all the various teams and split per board using components. They don't want the issues currently in the KANBAN project to live in the unified backlog. 

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2019

My only thought would be to use a quick filter to hide the issues from the Kanban on the backlog. 

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2019

Hi @Brad Marlin

Adding to Jack's comment - you'll need to have them on the backlog at some point to add to a sprint. They can't appear on an active sprint board if they've not been added to it.

You could quick filter them out for backlog refinement sessions - but you'll still need to add them in at some point.

Ste

Brad Marlin October 28, 2019

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to find a way to have these issues in a different project but see them on the other projects board during a sprint. If I change the project to a scrum with sprints would this work? We don't want to maintain two sprints, and we cant have the new issues in the backlog of the main project.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2019

Hi @Brad Marlin

Same applies - you need to have the issues in the sprint to have them on an active sprint board. That means having them as part of your board's filter - therefore they'd be visible on the backlog at some point so you can add them to the sprint.

If they must be totally exempt, you'll need two boards.

You could setup a Kanban board and bring both sets of issues onto it to have "one view" of them for stand-ups or similar - but you'd still need to manage the sprint separately. 

Ste

Suggest an answer