Column Missing from Results Display

I found a couple threads relating to this issue but none of the answers seem to be working...

We have a custom field that has a global context and a issue type specific context. I can not get the column to display in filter results.

If I use this filter - which is the needed one...

issuetype in ("Test Result - Issue") and parent in (MIS-55147, MIS-56248, MIS-58678, MIS-58836, MIS-60922) and created >= 2014-01-16 AND created <= 2014-01-21 ORDER BY Severity ASC

then the 'Severity' column I need will not display at all. It is there if I go to the screen to edit which filds display and there is content in the field.

I have adjusted the filter a few times based on information in the other threads I have found to include the specific field in the filter for example:

issuetype in ("Test Result - Issue") and parent in (MIS-55147, MIS-56248, MIS-58678, MIS-58836, MIS-60922) and created >= 2014-01-16 AND created <= 2014-01-21 and Severity is not EMPTY ORDER BY Severity ASC

Also, I have added the project id as I saw that may help...

project = "IT - Development" and issuetype in ("Test Result - Issue") and parent in (MIS-55147, MIS-56248, MIS-58678, MIS-58836, MIS-60922) and created >= 2014-01-16 AND created <= 2014-01-21 and Severity is not EMPTY ORDER BY Severity ASC

Still no luck. There has to be a way to get this field to display in the results. If i search only the issue type it will display with no problem.

1 answer

0 vote

You have answered your own question.

There is a long-standing design flaw in Jira which breaks the issue navigator. When you have a field in the navigator that has anything other than "global" context, then it will only be shown to you when the query is only going to return issues where the field is valid.

So you must say "issuetype in ("Test Result - Issue")", or the query might return issues that the field is not valid for.

If you notice, I am saying 'issuetype in ("Test Result - Issue")' in all of my examples but am still not able to get the field to display. Which is why I posted the question - I have done all the things that "should" be allowing the column display, according to previous posts, and it still isn't so I must be missing something...

Sorry, I didn't see that - tldr.

Can you test two slight modifications to one of the queries (I've used your example verbatim and just added a bit to the first one, so I'm hoping I've not misread it this time)

issuetype in ("Test Result - Issue") and (parent in (MIS-55147, MIS-56248, MIS-58678, MIS-58836, MIS-60922) and created >= 2014-01-16 AND created <= 2014-01-21) ORDER BY Severity ASC

issuetype in ("Test Result - Issue") and created >= 2014-01-16 AND created <= 2014-01-21 ORDER BY Severity ASC


niether of those displayed the severity column either :(

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

100 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you