Collate User Roles Across Projects

richardofrugeley November 2, 2015

I am responsible five JIRA projects, that is to say, RMsis projects that are created in JIRA. I assign individual users to project roles using the Admin tab on the project config page, to allow them access to the respective RMsis projects. I would like to add the list of users for each project to a dashboard so that I can check for consistency between projects, and maybe a link to each admin page in order to make any changes.

Is that even possible?

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2015

Can you explain more on what you like to do with what you said: "I like to add the list of users for each project to a dashboard so that I can check for consistency between projects'?

And what do you mean by link to each admin page? You mean a reference to the direct link "plugins/servlet/project-config/<project>/roles"? Take a look at the "Text Gadget".

richardofrugeley November 2, 2015

I would like to ensure that the necessary users have access to the necessary projects. At the moment, as I understand it, I visit each project's Admin page separately, click Project Administration > Roles to see a list of Users. I make some modifications to the list and then select a new project and do the same. If I could see the list of Users for all the projects of interest on one page then it would be easier to ensure they are consistent.

The Help says the Text Gadget is a potential security risk. Should I be worried?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2015

The "Text" gadget is dangerous because anyone who have access to it can put in an arbitrary html/script to and hack your JIRA instance, worse the server where it is running on. If your JIRA is sitting behind a firewall and you are confident with the security in place and who can access it especially the text gadget, you are fairly safe. JIRA natively doesn't have a screen to display all users for each Project and its roles. There is a screen for which Project roles a particular user has but not the other way around. So I guess your choice here are: * Save the "Roles" link for each project (so they are just one click away) * Develop an add-on for it * Open up a "new feature" against Atlassian (support.atlassian.com) see if they can add it anytime in the future.

richardofrugeley November 3, 2015

Thanks for your help Gabrielle, I choose the first option.

Suggest an answer