Closing of the sprint;not all the uncompleted issues move to the next sprint

Vera Valshonok January 3, 2018

I am closing sprint which has 2 boards. When I am closing sprint on the first board I am getting a popup telling about  moving all uncompleted issues to the next sprint/ after agreeing to it I am closing a sprint. For the next board I get no popup and it automatically moves to the sprint which I just closed / opened (doing it on the first board).

As a result i see that on the first board all the uncompleted issues successfully moved to the next sprint , on the second board  just a  little part of issues moved and the other issues didn't. They  are not on the board anymore.

How can i make all the uncompleted issues from BOTH Boards move to the next sprint( under the same columns and priorities)?

2 answers

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

When you close a sprint on the first board, that same sprint is also closed on the second board.  The sprint is a separate logically entity from the board itself.  So while the sprint can appear in different boards across different projects, there is only a single sprint being referenced here.

Since the boards can have different JQL filters, it might not be possible to place the issue(s) that only appear on board #2 into the next sprint.  This is because those issues might not actually appear on board #1 where the sprint is being closed (as determined by the board filter being used on board #1).

Hence when you close the sprint from board #1, you can't even see some/all the issues in that sprint that might exist on board #2.  In turn I would not have an expectation of being able to automatically assign them to the sprint planned sprint that originates on a completely different board.

My thought on how to work-around this would be to create a master 3rd board and in turn use a new JQL filter for that board that includes both JQL filters in use by the other boards, such as

filter in (boardfilter1, boardfilter2)

where you replace the 'boardfilter1' and 'boardfilter2' with the filter names being used for the other two boards.

This way you can see a single board that would be expected to see all the issues in both boards, provided that your account actually has the permissions to browse those issues and manage sprints in all associated projects

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

Hello,

Kindly make sure that the issues which did not move to another sprint are really completed. You can find info on which issue is considered to be completed here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-do-some-tickets-move-to-the-next-sprint-and-some-go-to-the/qaq-p/76548

Suggest an answer