Closing A Sprint: Stories w/ 'Done' Resolution Moved to Next Sprint?

Matt Ouellette January 5, 2015

We are using a simplified workflow (To Do, In Progress, Done) and have just closed our first sprint.  Now, despite the Sprint Report defining the issues as "Completed" and the resolution for each completed issue defined as "Done", these previous 'done' issues have been moved into our new sprint and are appearing in the Done column in Work Mode.

Did we miss something when closing the previous Sprint?  Is there a setting, or Post Function that we may have overlooked?

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Jessica Toy March 21, 2018

I am having the same issue, although I've checked the category attribute for the status. I have a ticket that was marked as "Closed", but it keeps moving from sprint to sprint.

You can see here it was set to Closed-- Done: https://cloudup.com/crcOEIl2Iil

And you can see here that our "Closed" status is in the Done category: https://cloudup.com/cVsPLcaPsLp

How can I resolve this?

erick.mirandamarquez@telefonica.com August 27, 2018

Hello Jessica, I have the same problem... Could you solve the issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2018

I suspect the "closed" status was not in the right hand column, but is now (which fixes it)

Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2015

Take a look at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Using+JIRA+Agile+Simplified+Workflow and see if the statuses in the Done column have the Set Resolution checkbox set.

Matt Ouellette January 5, 2015

Thank you for the feedback Boris. After checking the board configuration, the Set Resolution checkbox has indeed been set for our Done column. When viewing the Sprint report, both the status and resolution for each of our completed issues have been defined. Somehow though, when closing the previous sprint, all of our done issues were carried over into the new sprint. I will continue to review the documentation on the simplified workflow. Thanks.

Tim Ruijs January 27, 2015

Did you manage to find the origin of this problem? I would be very interested as I encountered this exact same problem today ;-(

Like Dan Knudsvig likes this
Matt Ouellette January 27, 2015

Tim - We were able to find out the reason for this issue in our project. The Category attribute for our Done status in the workflow we were using had been unintentionally changed from "Done" (green), to "To Do" (grey). Once we fixed this issue in our workflow, the issues we had completed in our Done column were not carried over into our next sprint. Hope this helps.

Like Dan Knudsvig likes this

Thanks for your quick response. will check this.

It appears that issues which are moved to a new sprint and get closed (before the sprint has started), do not show up in the Plan view, but after you start the that sprint will reappaear on the Work view. The Burndown does not show them either as the Sprint had not yet started when the issues were closed.

Jessica Toy March 21, 2018

I am having the same issue, although I've checked the category attribute for the status. I have a ticket that was marked as "Closed", but it keeps moving from sprint to sprint.

You can see here it was set to Closed-- Done: https://cloudup.com/crcOEIl2Iil

And you can see here that our "Closed" status is in the Done category: https://cloudup.com/cVsPLcaPsLp

How can I resolve this?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2018

You're posting on a quite old and certainly out-of-date thread.

I suspect you are simply looking at the wrong thing.  All that matters to a Scrum board is the status.  An issue is not finished unless it's in the far right-hand column on the board.  That's it.  Category, Resolution, even status don't matter.  It just needs to be in a status that is in the right-hand column.

Like Deleted user likes this
Tracey_Mora October 25, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I know this is a particularly old thread but I'm dealing with the same situation.

Far right column has a Done category status (green) mapped to it but when closing a sprint, those issues in that status/column get carried over to the next sprint regardless of their resolution state even though they don't appear in the next sprint board view.

Matt Matthias December 7, 2020

For the record, I don't believe what Nic Brough said above is strictly true. The Planning feature for example depends on the Resolution field being correctly set to Done for tickets to disappear from it; a status of Done alone will leave tickets in a plan.

I noticed for our instance of Jira that the Resolution field had become set to only accessible by the Service Desk and when using it in the Sprint project Jira couldn't access the field for sprint planning causing it to carry tickets forward through sprints (I believe). I've changed this and I'm waiting for our next sprint to end to see if it's worked.

We had a custom done field for tickets with no work required, and when we used this the sprint remained set in them and Jira treated them like not completed tickets. It seems that the Green status of Done for this new state alone was not enough for Jira to be happy they were done.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2020

To be clear - the statement I made was contextual.  All that matters to the scrum board is that the issue is in the last column.

Planning is not the (bit of the) scrum board I was talking about.  And Service Desk looks at resolution differently, similarly to Core Jira.

I keep meaning to write an article on all this.  Maybe the Christmas break will give me time.

Suggest an answer