Closed issues still display in "My Open Issues" filter

Justin July 18, 2017

I'm pretty sure we set up our workflow correctly, as our testers are able to to transition the issue to Closed once they are done with the "In Validation" part of the workflow. All issues are now marked "Closed". But they are still displaying in the "My Open Issues Filter". Any idea where we may have gone wrong?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

I think you have not taken account of the resolution

The resolution field needs to be set for (the main part of) JIRA to see the issue as "resolved", and hence not appear in things like the "my open issues".

Take a look at your workflow, and look at the two sets of transitions:

• For any transition that is from a status you think of as "closed" back to one you think of as "open", make sure you have a post-function for "clear resolution"
  • For any transition that is from a status you think of as "open" to one you think of as "closed", either
    • Add a post-function that sets the resolution to something standard
    • Make sure it goes through a "transition screen" that has the resolution field on it

Note, if going for the second of the "close" issues, you should never put the resolution on any other screen.  It should only go on "resolve/close/end/done/duplicate/reject type transition screens"

Mouli July 21, 2019

Thanks.. Just what i was looking for..

Found this issue with Jira.. In the new issue layout, The field Resolution is not displayed at all. (Not sure if this is a bug or its a feature that's WIP).

In the old issue view, this can be found right below the Status.image.png

Once i set the resolution to Done in the old view, I see the new view updated with a Green Tick mark & Done Text next to Status.

image.png

Harp July 26, 2019

We have the same issue, Closed issues appearing as Open with multiple number of duplicates.

"Make sure it goes through a "transition screen" that has the resolution field on it"

None of our "Close issue" transitions have "transition screen" but all of them have post-function that sets the resolution to Done. Why only some of the closed issues come back as duplicates and Open while thousands of others don't. These are not the "Closed" issues re-opened, these are issues transitioned to close status from open statuses.

Like Mouli likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2019

You need to check over all the transitions - any going from any "open" to "closed" status need to set a resolution, and going from a "closed" status to an "open" one (whether it's re-opened or something else), needs to clear the resolution.

If you need help with this, have a look at the history of an issue that is displaying incorrectly - you'll be able to see what transition set or cleared the resolution (or not) and set it incorrectly.

Like Mouli likes this
Mouli July 29, 2019

If a closed (Done) issue is getting reopened, the transition (post function) is to be updated to clear the resolution as nic has mentioned.

Harp July 30, 2019

I checked all the transitions and none of them is missing to set resolution from "open" to "Closed" type statuses and none of them is missing to clear resolution from "Closed" to "open" type statuses. 

I looked at the history of these duplicates created for original closed issue and the history in original issue was never "re-open" type status and for 9 duplicate issues with a different issue number and identical "Summary" field were showing as "Open" with no history and abnormal workflow steps were showing in issue view with no option to close.

This issue has happened to 7 issues so far with exactly same behavior described above ! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2019

The problem here is that looking at the code for the "My open issues" filter really is "assignee = currentUser() and resolution is empty". 

So, is that the case?  Can you pick one of the issues that is in the results but should not be, search for it with a simple search (the one above would be good), and check what resolution shows in the issue navigator, then go into the full issue view and check again?

Suggest an answer