Cloning a test is not duplicating the test cases anymore ?

Deepak Selvaraj August 21, 2014

Hi,

Till few days back, I used to have my test cycles running by cloninng each and every test. For example: i have a test cycle named 'Web service' that would have a number of test under it 'ws 1.1', 'ws 1.2' and so on. I would simply clone 'ws 1.1' so that all the test cases are copied into 'ws 1.2'. Now, the problem is if I clone any test there seems to be a link below rather than copying the test cases. Please advise on how to get the same working as before :)

I have a link that shows the video of this issue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8jgggaal7mm01k/Jira_Zephyrissue.mov?n=266221682

Please help me out getting this sorted.

Thank You

Kind Regards

Deepak Selvaraj

6 answers

1 vote
Deepak Selvaraj August 21, 2014

Hi Nic,

I am sorry, I thought this question would straight away get assigned to Zephyr since I was raising my question within a similar link. Okay, Let me make it clear we are using 'Zephyr for Jira' -- Test Management add on. Within that the way the test plan is setup is

1. Click Tests ----> Plan Test Cycle (We create a new Test cycle within each Project)

2. Create a Test --> Execute in the above created cycle

3. Clone the same test created in step 2, so that we can execute it n number of times with few additional test scripts getting added at the end.

Now after the clone, I don't see the test scripts to be copied but just a small link is created that says a clone has been developed for this test.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2014

No problem, I'll add the tag.

Sadly though, I'm a bit stuck, I don't use Zephyr like that, so I'm in the same place you are.

0 votes
Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2017
0 votes
Deepak Selvaraj August 25, 2014

Hi,

Can someone from the Zephyr team please help me ?

Thank you

kind Regards

Deepak selvaraj

0 votes
Deepak Selvaraj August 25, 2014

Hi,

Yes that is what I am surprised, the cloned test do not copy up the test cases. I have captured a video in the below link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8jgggaal7mm01k/Jira_Zephyrissue.mov?n=266221682

I kindly request someone to help me out with what would have been the cause of this issue ?

Thank you

Kind Regards

Deepak Selvaraj

0 votes
G3 August 22, 2014

Deepak,

The 'link' you are seeing (below the test steps) probably says something like... 'clones', or 'is cloned by'.

If you 'clone' a test, the new (cloned) test case should open, and unless you've changed the title in the cloning process, the summary should begin with "CLONE ...". The new, cloned test case should contain all the steps of the test case you copied/cloned... and should also have a link that starts with "clones" then the link to the original test case.

In other words:

You are in the CLONED test case if the link reads "clones"

You are in the ORIGINAL test case if the link reads "is cloned by"

Either way, steps in the new/cloned test case should be the same as the original test case (unless you start deleting them, or adding new scripts/steps).

Like Nic mentioned, that is not how we are using Z4J. But hope it helps.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2014

I think you need to explain the structure of the tests you've got and what you've configured.

For a start, Jira thinks in "issues", not tests and certainly not test cycles, so you need to explain how you are representing tests in Jira. Or, have you used one of the Test Management plugins like Zephyr to implement something for testing? If so, which one?

Suggest an answer