Cloning a request - reporter is not updated

Sigridur Harpa Hannesdottir September 22, 2017

When I/we clone a request, the reporter field is not updated with a "new" reporter - the person who is cloning the request should become the reporter.

I have looked through everything I can possibly find on this issue and all the answers I find say that if a user DOES NOT have modify reporter permission, then the reporter on the cloned request should become that user/current user. 

This does not work. And I don't think that it has ever worked (at least not for us). I have modify reporter permission. When I clone a request, the reporter is still the same one as on the previous request, but I can change that after the clone request has been created.

When another user, that does not have modify reporter permission,  clones a request the reporter is not changed to current user on the cloned request (new request.

Are we doing something wrong? 

Found this on this site but I don't feel it answers the question.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Clone-does-not-update-reporter/qaq-p/392418

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sigridur Harpa Hannesdottir September 26, 2017

Hello again. 

This seems to be the problem (what I wrote above) so no need to look into this further.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2017

Hi Sigridur,

I'm glad you were able to figure that out through your testing and I'm going to accept your answer here in case anyone else has a similar question.

Cheers,

Branden

Vineela Durbha November 2, 2022

@Sigridur Harpa Hannesdottir 

How did you resolve this as I am even facing the same issue

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2017

Hi Sigridur,

I just tested this and if I clone an issue with a user that has Modify Reporter permissions the reporter stays as the original reporter.  If I clone an issue as a user that does not have the Modify Reporter permissions I do get a warning stating the user will be the reporter and it creates the ticket with that person as the new reporter:

CloneIssue.png

• When you attempt to clone an issue as a user that does not have modify reporter permissions what happens?
  • Does it matter if the user is an admin or not?
  • What version of JIRA are you using?

Cheers,

Branden

Sigridur Harpa Hannesdottir September 25, 2017

Hi Braden.

Thank you for your response.

Ok, looked into users and roles and permissions for a certain project. And then the groups the specific user is a part of.

When I look at Users and roles and look at the groups that are under "Modify reporter", the specific user is in neither one of those groups. However, if I go to permissions, I see that the project role for modify reporter in Permissions is both Administrator and modify reporter roles. And the specific user is in a group that is under the Administrator role  in Users and roles (that group is not under the role modify reporter in Users and roles).

Could this be the problem? The user does not get any notification that she does not have "Modify reporter" permission and the reporter is cloned as well.

I tried this myself, and as you said, as soon as I took away my permission to modify reporter, I got the notification and became the reporter.

Really hope you understand what I am trying to say.. If not, please let me know.

Best regards

Sigga

Suggest an answer