Cloning a Jira server and replacing the license

Carsten Paschilke [Berenberg] April 8, 2014

Hi all,

task at hand is cloning our existing Jira server to allow for a team separation...

Only very few projects will remain on the cloned one and will be deleted from our main installation once cloning is complete.

We run an unlimited commercial license and I have bought an extra 25 seat license to use on the new machine.

Problem is since we copied each and everything including the database the server id on the new machine is still the same and thus I cannot generate the license key on MyAtlassian for it.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Carsten

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carsten Paschilke [Berenberg] April 27, 2014

Hi all,

what I did (and what worked for me) was the following (Unix platform):

• · Unpack the installer to a temporary directory on the machine the new Jira runs on.
  • · Shutdown the existing Jira instance to avoid port clashes
  • · Override the 'JIRA_HOME' environment variable (at least for the running session)
  • · Start the installer process
  • · Call the default URL from a webbrowser
  • · Click through the setup until it displays the ServerID
  • · Throw away the temporary stuff
  • · Run the SQL below to update the ServerID of the already installed instance
  • · Generate the license key on my.atlassian.comusing the ServerID
  • · Restart the already installed Jira and update the license on the admin page

UPDATE propertystring
SET propertyvalue = 'xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx'
WHERE id = (SELECT id FROM propertyentry WHERE PROPERTY_KEY='jira.sid.key');

(Where xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx needs to be your true ServerID)

Thanks,

Carsten

0 votes
Kamal May 1, 2014

Hi there,

We have Jira v5.1 installed on VM in CentOS platform and we like to update to Jira v6.2. What are the procedures we should follow to install Jira 6.2 successfully.

0 votes
Carsten Paschilke [Berenberg] April 8, 2014

Hello Pietro,

thanks for that quick reply...

That new installation will be used by a different department in our company and license costs will be billed to their cost center.
They got a totally new (and isolated) server and that's why I bought a new license for them as I wanted to have a clean cut between the two installations...

Regards,
Carsten

0 votes
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

Hi Carsten,

Instead of using the new 25 user license, you can use a development license which is completely free for customers who have bought a commercial license. The development license contains the exact same type and amount of users as your commercial license. You can retrieve this license under your profile in my.atlassian.com.

Let us know if this helps!

Cheers,

Suggest an answer