Cloning a Jira issue creates two clones instead of one (sometimes)

Pawan Modi October 17, 2012

Hi,

I'm facing a weird functionality\bug in Jira where cloning a Jira, sometimes creates two issues

(instead of one).

Can you please suggest a fix\workaround ?

Thanks,

Regds,

Pawan

3 answers

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Make sure you don't have some sort of post function on the *create issue* transition that creates issues.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

There is not enough information to help you. What does your logs say? Does the issue being cloned have sub-tasks? Are you using Jira's builtin clone process or are you using one of the many clone plugins?

0 votes
David Toussaint [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Hi Pawan,

I suggest that by "cloning a JIRA" you mean cloning a single JIRA issue. If that is not what you'r speaking of, please make it clearer.

The most likely cause of creating several issues is that the are having subissues and those subissues are cloned as well. So in order to avoid that you will have to clon issues without subissues.

If this is not a problam at all but say the "source" issue is simply cloned two times (resulting in three instead of two identical issues) than something else is wrong and you should provide some more details.

Hope that helps? Cheers, David

Hello Norman\Pawan,

With Jira, I mean single issue. I've checked the issue and din't find any sub-task for it (assuming sub-issue and sub-task are same).

While cloning a single issue sometimes results into two cloned issue. While other time, it results into a single cloned issue which is actually expected.

Getting details from logs is difficult as the issue occurs sporadically.

Please let me know if any other info I can provide in this regard.

Thanks,

Regds,

Pawan

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Which version of JIRA?

sorry .. I missed to mention that. We are using Jira v4.4.5

AkashD September 11, 2016

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue when I am going to clone an issue it will create 2 or 3 issues which don't have transitions' permission. It only allows deleting the issue. This is not the everytime problem it happens in a week or two.

Jira Version 7.1.2

As per logs its simply showing the issue is cloned .  

Suggest an answer