Cloning a Issue

rubesh_kunwar February 9, 2016

Say we found an issue which should be replicated to all the values in the field as it is a common code fix. Therefore we will have to raise this as separate issues each for every existing options (currently there may be around 20 options for our JIRA project!). The reason we can’t raise this as one issue and select all applicable values in the “Options" field is because when we release one project for one market, this particular issue will be verified and closed and will not be present to verify in other releases done for other markets. To complete cloning this issue for all values seperately in JIRA now takes us long time. So I was wondering if there is a plug in option or some easy way of doing this? Is it possible to have a clone option where we select the applicable values in a field and it would create separate issues for each values?

2 answers

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2016

Rubesh,

Take a look at Clone Plus for JIRA 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.swift.jira.clone-plus/server/overview

Also, this is something you could potentially do using Script Runner. But it will require you to write some code.

Cheers

Bhushan

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2016

It sounds like you have an issue that has a multi-select custom field who's selection indicates what clones need to be created? If this is the case then the Create Issue post function from Create on Transition for JIRA can be used and associated with a transition (perhaps a simple transition back to the same status) that will create an issue for each of the selected items. This is described in How to create multiple issues - advanced example . 

rubesh_kunwar February 10, 2016

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the response. So with the add-on that you have mentioned i will be able to clone a issue 20 times within the same project just by selecting 20 different options for a field in JIRA Issue Creation? 

I have a field called Markets where i have 20 different options. So if i select all 20 will it be able to create a 20 different issues within the same project and each different issue has the different option selected?  

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2016

Yes, if I understand your scenario correctly. You will need to specifically set any custom field you want (including Markets) to the current entry being processed at the time using the %entry% replacement variable.

rubesh_kunwar February 11, 2016

Bob,

Another query regarding this. Can we make a rules to associate field values in one of the fields to change the value on the other fields? 

Say we change a Value in Filed 1 to 'A' and then the plugin automatically changes the value in Field 2 to '1'? 

Let me know if this is not clear? 

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2016

Generally, it is difficult to map values. What you have available is Substitution variables. You can do some text manipulation with the findReplace function and there is some mapping capability that uses cascade select configuration. Look through those details and see it your use case is covered. 

Suggest an answer