Classic Epic Migration not working

Mark DeMichele February 28, 2013

I just upgraded to the latest greenhopper. This is my first version with the Epic support for rapid boards. I attempted to run the Classic Epi Migration tool, but it claimed everything was already ok. It says this,

<dl><dd>37 of 47 epics have 595 Classic epic links</dd><dd>595 Classic epic links already exist in the new board</dd><dd>0 epic links will be migrated</dd><dd></dd><dd>However, when I go to the planning board, all I see if my epics down the left all titled something like "unlabelled-xxxxx" and they have nothing in them. Do I really need to manually hook everything back up? I had an idea to search for issues based on the old epic field and to a bulk change of the new field, except the new Epic Link field doesn't seem to be changeable from the bulk operations page. Is there another way to do this?</dd></dl>

2 answers

2 votes
Michael Ruflin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2013

Hi Mark

GreenHopper requires a reindex (either a full reindex, or a completed background reindex) for epics and epics related functionality to work properly. Only issues reindexed after the "Epic Link" field has been added to the system will be valid candidates for migration.

Your work around worked because editing and issue also reindexes it.

Carsten A.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2013

I have the same issue as Mark. After a full re-index, it still shows

0 epic links will be migrated

But this issue only applies to projects where I already did some manual Epic-Issue-Association (I found out about the Classic Migration, after doing a little testing).
For projects, where I never touched an issue after updating GH, Classic Migration works as expected.

Michael Ruflin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2013

Only issues will be migrated for which no new epic-issue association already exists, the others will be ignored. This logic applies on a per-issue basis, not on a per-project basis though, so in your case I assume you manually linked up all issues (that have an Epic/Theme value) of some projects to their respective epics already?

Carsten A.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

I associated just a few issues, but the remaining "unassociated" issues would not be migrated as well.

But: After full re-index -> Jira restart -> full re-index it suddenly worked. How knows...

0 votes
Mark DeMichele February 28, 2013

I found a work around for this. Apparently, the migration is only migrating issues the have been changed in some way after the upgrade to the latest green hopper. So, what I did was used bulk change to add a label to every issue that had an non-empty Epic field. I limited the JQL to a single project and the latest version for now. My JQL looked something like this.

project = XL and fixVersion = Jun13 and Epic is not empty

On the bulk change, I added an arbitrary label, named "hasEpic".

After I did this, when I ran the Epic Migration tool, it updated all the epics that I just added that label to.

Prior to doing this, I manually entered names for these epics from the planning board since they all said, "Unlabelled" For some reason, that was not done automatically.

Also, a word of caution. I have no idea how bulk change handles labels. Does it replace all of them, meaning if one of these issues already had a label for something else would it remove that label, or will it just add the label I added. Since my items didn't have labels, I'm not sure. If your items have labels, you may want to check this on one or two first to determine if it will be a problem. Or you can change another field. I tried changing stuff that didn't require changining like in my case, fixVersion = Jun13, but that basically resulted in no change and didn't help making the migration tool work.

Michael Tokar
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2013

Hi Mark,

Bulk Edit of a Labels field will remove any existing values set for the Labels field and replace them with the ones you input into Bulk Edit.

Cheers,

Suggest an answer