Choosing the right product before buying

Jihad_Abdulrazaq October 11, 2020

Hello,

We as a company in telecom industry want to use your software (confluence + Jira), initially for IT department in BSS (Business Support System), but our concern is we are not sure which flavor of Jira is best suit with our current workflow, our current PLC (project lifecycle is uploaded here, so you can better help us to decide, we get request from marketing department for a new project and we will check the feasibility from IT side then go to implementation take place by different teams from IT, We have below status actually:

Feasibility-->Implementation-->UAT-->Launch preparation-->Launched

it will be sequentially..PLC1.PNGPLC2.PNG

I sent email for this but I got no answer,

please your support..

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2020

Hi Jihad,

All flavours can support your workflow in Jira. There are other questions to ask:

• Do end users need a customer portal? Do you need integration with a knowledge base? If so, Jira Service Desk is likely what you need.
  • Do you need agile boards to visualise the workflow? Normally I'd recommend up to 5 statuses; the ~17 statuses you have would likely not be helpful on a single board. If so, you will need Jira Software.
  • If none of the above apply, then Jira Core will do the job.

Here's a helpful article for you - https://www.akeles.com/what-are-the-differences-between-jira-software-jira-service-desk-and-jira-core/

Good luck with your decision, cheers,
Jimmy

Jihad_Abdulrazaq October 12, 2020

Hi Jimmy,

Appreciate your answer,

For your questions:

End users don't need a customer portal, and for the knowledge base please can you clarify more? if you mean the information that agreed between marketing team and IT for a specific project as example, yes we have FRD (functional requirements document) that we agreed on,

For the number of statuses, we are planning to use 5 statuses on the board, as below:

Feasibility-->Implementation-->UAT-->Launch preparation-->Launched

Actually we are stuck between Jira software(Kanban) and Jira core, 

the reason for this, we have some points of relate to what Jira software is used for, one of the points is like this: We get request(the request can be for brand new project or it can be a change request) from MKT, We do configurations(sometimes need developing for some features) in IT side with different teams which each team has their supervisor or team-leader. (this point somehow like software development).

But at the other hand we are service teams, reporting, visualizing the workflow and statuses are very important for us.

One additional point after project launches, we get change requests and the time for change request can take between 3 days to 1 week, for each change request do we have to create a new project to benefit from full reporting and other benefits or we can create a story for each change request related to a project? ( as story issue is not available in Jira core is it hard to achieve?)

JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2020

Hi Jihad,

Quick question - have you decided between cloud or server/on-prem?

I would like to point out that Jira Core does come with one board to assist with visualisation, but it is very simple and not customisable. If work for each project is very similar it may be suitable.

My suggestion from here would be to trial Jira Core for a week or so, see if it meets your needs, and if you're feeling it lacks a little, then trying Jira Software for a week or so and seeing if that fits the bill. You may end up finding that the extra features of software are not what you need, but other marketplace apps for better dashboards, Gantt charts or information (workflow) validation.

With respect to your question about creating a new project, no, I would not recommend this. It sounds like you need a separate issue type, and a separate workflow mapped to that issue type. Issue type 1 would be "Story" and issue type 2 would be "Change request". Customisable issue types and workflows are available to both Jira Core and Jira Software.

Cheers, Jimmy

Suggest an answer