Chinese text lost when Import to JIRA from Excel

Rohan Herbert November 10, 2013

Im using JIRA 2.7

When using the import issues to JIRA via Excel feature or bulk edit in excel, i find if the text contains any Chinese / Japanese input, the same is stored as junk in the DB, and cant be displayed in JIRA correctly.

if normal chinese is displayed in the excel, then after inport the chinese may look like this

After: Í»§¶ËÔËÐпò¼Ü¡¿¡¾ÀÏ°æ±¾ÎÊÌâ¡¿£ºµ¼³ö¾ÖÏòÃûºó£¬ÖØе¼Èëʱ£¬½çÃæÉÏÎÞ·¨¶Ôµ¼ÈëµÄ¾ÖÏò½øÐÐÑ¡Ôñ¡£

However if I edit JIRA issue in the browser, and type / paste the same chinese content, it displays correctly.

I found if the import with chinese text is done from a machine has Windows 7 + MS Office (both in Chinese language), Then the import seems to work just fine.

Also, tested this with japanese text, found the same. it becomes junk if imported via excel, displays just fine if inputted into JIRA via edit issue in browser.

Any solution to make this work?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rohan Herbert December 11, 2013

Solution: Verified in Windows 7

1. Control Panel >Region and Language > Formats

2. Change Format from English (country name) to Chinese (Simplified, PRC) ; Apply , OK.

3. Open the Excel and make sure you SAVE the file again. (after above settings were applied)

4. Run the JIRA Upload Macro

Now the Chinese Text will display correctly in JIRA

Note: This will change the formats all over your system, including system calendar to chinese.

Once you are done with re saving excel files and JIRA uploads, You can revert to English (country name) for convenience .

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2013

Hey Rohan, judging by this information:

I found if the import with chinese text is done from a machine has Windows 7 + MS Office (both in Chinese language), Then the import seems to work just fine.

It seems to me that the problem is not with JIRA itself, otherwise it wouldn't work in any circustance. As a suggestion, you may check the browser's encoding, as in this example for Chrome: <cite>https://support.google.com/news/answer/61689</cite>

Cheers

Rohan Herbert November 13, 2013

Hi,

No its not browser, as i mentioned the browser displays correct if the same is enterend in the UI.

the issue is that after import the MS SQL DB itself is not storing the data correctly, hence problem is with the import. its not the DB, since when using the UI to store the same, MS SQL is able to store it correctly.

Suggest an answer