Chinese text lost when Import to JIRA from Excel

Im using JIRA 2.7

When using the import issues to JIRA via Excel feature or bulk edit in excel, i find if the text contains any Chinese / Japanese input, the same is stored as junk in the DB, and cant be displayed in JIRA correctly.

if normal chinese is displayed in the excel, then after inport the chinese may look like this

After: Í»§¶ËÔËÐпò¼Ü¡¿¡¾ÀÏ°æ±¾ÎÊÌâ¡¿£ºµ¼³ö¾ÖÏòÃûºó£¬ÖØе¼Èëʱ£¬½çÃæÉÏÎÞ·¨¶Ôµ¼ÈëµÄ¾ÖÏò½øÐÐÑ¡Ôñ¡£

However if I edit JIRA issue in the browser, and type / paste the same chinese content, it displays correctly.

I found if the import with chinese text is done from a machine has Windows 7 + MS Office (both in Chinese language), Then the import seems to work just fine.

Also, tested this with japanese text, found the same. it becomes junk if imported via excel, displays just fine if inputted into JIRA via edit issue in browser.

Any solution to make this work?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Solution: Verified in Windows 7

1. Control Panel >Region and Language > Formats

2. Change Format from English (country name) to Chinese (Simplified, PRC) ; Apply , OK.

3. Open the Excel and make sure you SAVE the file again. (after above settings were applied)

4. Run the JIRA Upload Macro

Now the Chinese Text will display correctly in JIRA

Note: This will change the formats all over your system, including system calendar to chinese.

Once you are done with re saving excel files and JIRA uploads, You can revert to English (country name) for convenience .

Hey Rohan, judging by this information:

I found if the import with chinese text is done from a machine has Windows 7 + MS Office (both in Chinese language), Then the import seems to work just fine.

It seems to me that the problem is not with JIRA itself, otherwise it wouldn't work in any circustance. As a suggestion, you may check the browser's encoding, as in this example for Chrome: <cite>https://support.google.com/news/answer/61689</cite>

Cheers

Hi,

No its not browser, as i mentioned the browser displays correct if the same is enterend in the UI.

the issue is that after import the MS SQL DB itself is not storing the data correctly, hence problem is with the import. its not the DB, since when using the UI to store the same, MS SQL is able to store it correctly.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,080 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you