Child issues created in Roadmap is not showing in Board

Ilan Brender April 13, 2021

Hi,

I have an issue I can't get my head around.

When I create an Epic in Roadmap and then create child issues for this Epic by clicking the + sign next to it, the child issue is created and shown below the Epic. So far so good.

I would then expect to be able to find the same child issue in the Board view. But it is not there. I have tried searching for the name, issue-number, sorting in all sorts of ways. Changing the settings to that particular issue etc. Nothing makes the issue show up in Board.

Creating an issue in Board and adding the Epic to the issue makes the issue show up in Roadmap.

The issue created in Roadmap is indistinguishable to the one created in Board, so cannot figure out why one will show up in Board and the other will not.

Is it me, bug or feature?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

Hi @Ilan Brender,

Issues created in the roadmap view are not saved instantly in Jira. As soon as you add / update any data in your roadmap, you should see a big blue button light up in the top right corner: Review Changes:

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 11.54.29.png

When you click that button, you will see an overview of all the changes you made in your plan. When you click Save selected changes to Jira there, your issues will be saved to Jira and appear on your board.

Hope this helps.

Hi @Walter Buggenhout ,

Thank you for taking your time to answer.

We are on the cloud based version/Next Gen and nothing similar to what you describe appears in the Roadmap.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

Hi @Ilan Brender,

Oh, my apologies and thanks for clarifying ! I was assuming you were on the premium plan and using advanced roadmaps. I was referring to that functionality in my answer. 

Could you check if you have enabled the backlog of your board? Because if you do, your issues will appear in the backlog view, not on the actual board:

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 12.15.52.png

I created 2 epics and 2 issues on the roadmap of my test project and the above screenshot demonstrates where they (should) pop up.

Like # people like this

That's it! I did not catch that connection. So absolutely a feature.

Thank you for your help.

Have a great day.

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2021

Thanks, @Ilan Brender. May I also ask you to mark my answer as accepted (given it seems to have helped you ;-)) - that makes it easier to find for users running into similar problems.  

Roopesh Jaiswal August 31, 2022

Hi Walter, 

I am new to using roadmap feature in Jira.

I am having the same issue described above. I have enabled backlog, However unable to view the child issues created in Roadmap into the backlog. They seem to appear as stand alone issues.  Epics are also shown as unlabeled in the board view, However when I click an epic the child issues are shown inside. but doesn't seem to appear in the board. And for the same reason unable to view a epic burndown. 

Any pointer you can suggest which would help in creating stats from the data.

Best regards,

Roopesh

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events