Checking group usage (JIRA)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2014

Hi

I want to check whether a particular group has been accidentally granted access to a project role by one of the project admins.

Since, we have 300+ projects, doing it manually is not an option.

What are my other options?

Rahul

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2014

I'd cheat a bit - create a dummy user, whack them in that group (and a temporary "can log in" group) and no others and then see what they can see in Jira. Your mileage on that trick might vary, depending on how your permissions are set, but it's been able to find inappropriate role settings for me in several occaisions.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2014

@Nic: your solution assumes that the project role controls the browse project permissions and in that case visibility of a project by that dummy user will tell us memberships to that project role.

What if (which is my case) that project role does not control browse project permissions ?

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2014

Yes, that's right, that's why I said "your mileage might vary" - it depends on how you are doing permissions. If you're using groups in permissions (i.e. old style, less flexible than roles), then it won't help you.

But if you are using groups in permissions, you can simply go to the list of groups to see where you're doing it.

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2014

You can take a user which is in this group and check the project roles of this user if there is a role granted because of the group. If this is not displayed directly (in 4.x JIRA displays the group, in 6.x only a green checkmark with the group name as mouse over pop up) you can check the html source of the page for the group name.

Suggest an answer